• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lighting Candles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just visited this topic. I saw a topic called Lighting Candles and someone named Wick talking about the subject, and thought, dang, that guy must be an expert!!!!
:wink:

wb

Well I think theres some trickery goin on! Notice you don't actually see what he has in his hands!? :hmm: :blah: :wink:

Many Klatch said:
I once saw a candle lit this way. The black used wick extended about 1/2" from the candle. The guy wrapped his charcloth around the wick and lit the char. The candle lit in seconds.
Many Klatch

That is one way to do it. Another is to just lay the lit char next to the body of the candle and blow gently until the char begins to smoke. Remove the char from the candle and continue to blow. The wick, the candles wick, not the cutler Wick, can be lit when the char bursts into flame.

I suspect that Wick the cutler can get lit too, but that is a discussion for another day.

I suggest trying as many ways as one can think of to light candles, wax, or a lump of fat, using primitive means.

God bless

Yes I can JD. I'm working on that right now. Lonehunter and I played with candle lighting today. Could not light one with a tinder tube wick, and it took a fair sized roll of char, but that did work. The humidity here was in the 100% range. Also made a few spunk sticks with sulfer. That is a pretty surefire method. Doesn't take much to get the sulfer stick to burn. We will next try what you suggested with the char cloth.

that is so cool, may i ask where did you get your striker,er steel home made or store bought? i lost mine and well i need to make one or by one.

bkovire said:
that is so cool, may i ask where did you get your striker,er steel home made or store bought? i lost mine and well i need to make one or by one.

bkovire,
My steel came from Wick Ellerbe and it sparks like crazy!
I can honestly say, that of all the strikers i have played with, Wicks throw better spark than the others Hands down!
You could start a carpet fire Quick.
I would recommend them to anyone! :v

I usual;y wait until the camp next to me has a fire going, then I walk over there and light my candle and tinder from his fire. :rotf:

that is cheeeeetttttting :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: but if it works :thumbsup: :hatsoff:, but if is windy and dark how many trips would you make? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

bkovire said:
but if it is windy and dark how many trips would you make?

bkovire,
Most likely just two.....Second time he
would just move in! :idunno:

I know this is most likely a dumb question, but does the flint make any difference in the amount of spark? I got to order one of those strikers, but my flint and striker throw WAY less sparks than that... :shake:

In my opinion, Yes!
The quality of flint would make a difference, BUT, The quality of the steel is far more important than the piece of flint.
Without a good steel, you could beat it to death and never get good sparks.
I would recommend a steel from one of the reputable smiths, The ones you buy from venders are really a shot in the dark, maybe it will be a good one, maybe not!
Mine came from Wick Ellerbe and sparks like crazy.
You could give him a shout, or there are a few others
on here that could make a decent striker also! :v

Thanks LoneHunter, I will order one from Wick, started my first fire this past weekend, but it was not as easy to do as you made lighting that candle look :bow:

Back