• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lightening a worm stain...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a fantastic termite holed , and stained preshaped longrifle stock w/ barrel already inlet , and r/r hole drilled. Just thinking about building it , causes what little adrenaline I have left to make me excited. Gotta find a termite stained piece of maple for the wood patch box. Might have to go see a fellow to check his scrap pile for a piece. I'll use straight black alcohol stain for the first coat. Dry with a heat gun , polish w/ 0000 steel wool that's been cleaned of shipping oil with acetone , and dried with a cloth. Next , I'll stain with alcohol stain mixed using orange , red , and yellow , to find the stain color I desire , on scrap wood. Apply the chosen stain combination , and dry w/ heat gun again. Polish again w/ the wool , and adjust the color If I want again. If more stain was needed , repeat the heat gun , and wool polish again. With staining concluded , the wood will be warm to the touch from the heat gun drying , and ready to apply a viscose ( penetrating ) coat of thin type finish , until the stock won't soak up any more finish. Wipe the stock dry , and set it up in a warm place to allow the first coat of finish to set up hard. Could take a day or two ro set up , so polyurithane finish won't get sticky . If it does , allow the project to set until the poly hardens. If poly isn't your favorite finish apply whatever you want. It wil be a thing of beauty in the end. Try the whole process on scrap wood using the steps outlined , if you wish. Remember , finishing wood , is 90% technique , and 10% materials. Knowledge from doing this for 50+ years. I like easy.

Re-thinking my earlier answer I'd leave it be. A great character mark. I carved a decoy out of white cedar that had two splits down the top. Rather than filling them, I dribbled epoxy into them to seal and stabilize and then painted it as normal. They looked great when done and added to the decoy. One of a kind, so to speak.

Latest posts

Back