• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Light weight rifle for my wife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
My Wife loves to hunt and has bow hunted and rifle hunted with me for years. This year I took her during the muzzleloading season. I only own one caplock rifle, it's a .54 Leman Green River Plains rifle. The rifle is pretty heavy for her and the length of pull is too long. I'm looking for a percussion gun in a .45cal for her that is light weight with a short length of pull. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Try to find a T/C White Mountain carbine or a Lyman Deerstalker. The WM Carbine I had only weighed 6 pounds, and had a recoil pad. Not traditional, maybe, but a good gun for a woman.

I used to own a Pedersoli Frontier Carbine. It's still in the house and I get to clean it, but the first time my wife tried it she took it over. Period. It's very nicely balanced and light compared to most others, yet accurate as any I own.

"Ours" is a 50 cal, but the model is available in a full range of calibers. If your wife is anything like mine you better shoot it before she does, because you will never get another chance once she tries it.

Longhunter, I have several in .50 Cal that would probably suit you. Contact me if interested.

Yep. Forgot about those, I wasn't aware they made those anymore. I had a flinter in .54 caliber, and it was a fun shooter! Mine was the Cabela's Blue Ridge, though. Same rifle, but a little less expensive.

My wife hasn't shot a deer with hers yet, but snowshoe hare fear her. (30 grains FFF or Pyro P and PRB). When we shoot targets to decide who cooks dinner that's her load of choice, and I'm turning into a fine cook.

Thanks for the advice guys.

The gun she hunted with this year is a heavy thing but she got by. I set her up in a blind with cross sticks for a rest. Her biggest complaint was the stock was too long and she had trouble getting her creek on the stock.

The_Huntress.JPG

Cabela's Blue Ridge comes in .32, .36, .45, .50 and .54 cal., both in cap and flint. They are sleek, good looking and light weight. A real dream to carry and shoot. Cabela's is having a sell right now on them. .45 cal. percussion for $379.99. Good Christmas present. At those prices, get a matching pair. One for you :hmm: .

Here's a few thoughts. Remember, the bigger the hole in the barrel- the lighter weight the gun. A fifty caliber may be fine. What about some of the discount guns with rather short barrels (24")? You could restock to a full length and have something pretty inexpensive yet pc in appearance. If it had a fast twist she could shoot conicals, sort of kicking up the value of a 50 caliber.
Some of the NW trade guns/fusils are also pretty lightweight and could be used for large and small game.

Would suggest considering a used T/C Seneca .45 caplock. A good looking graceful gun.

On the plus side you have a lifetime warranty on used T/C guns.

Saw a Seneca in very good condition sell at a recent gun show for $340.

My wife is 5'7", 120 lbs. and the T/C Seneca .45 is just right for her.

Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

That Leman is a fine rifle. Have you thought about a .45 T/C Seneca? Weight is around six pounds or so and can use patched ball or slug loads to good effect. Your wife would find it easy to tote around, and as long as historical correctness isn't an issue, it is a well built and reliable rifle. Check the on-line auctions.

My wife uses a Traditions Deerhunter in .50 cal that she built from a kit. It is only 6 lbs and has a 24" barrel that is rifled 1 in 48". It shoots round ball very well, and just about anything else we have tried in it. She took a doe this year at about 90 yards.

Keep in mind, a light gun kicks harder. Don't know if will be an issue for your wife.

Clutch

Cut a deal with Pittsburghunter for that .45 caliber underhammer he's tryin' to git rid of. :winking:

I have a 50 cal Traditions Kentucky rifle it weighs about half what my brothers Lyman Trade rifle does.
We went hunting together and climbing fences and going through brush. I would take his rifle and mine same time and it was so noticable I had him feel the weight.
Its not as nicely built as a lyman but it will get the meat.

NTWFLonghunter, I've got a couple of Ladies rifles I can part with, as my Wife and Grandaughter don't seem to be intrested in Blackpowder as I'd hoped. Here are some photos. If your intrested PM me....
PB261531.jpg

PB261528.jpg

6lb15oz,33"bbl,45cal,12 1/4"pull, pc hand made adjustable peep sight, dovetail cut and plugged for rear sight.
HPIM2649.jpg

Lehman Ladies model.. 5lb7oz,28"bbl.45cal,12 1/4pull :v
Jim

I picked up a nice used T/C white Mountain in .45 for my daughter (13 year old) for a little over $200. I have a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter Carbine that is similar in .50 (bored for PRB 1:66). Both are nice light rifles with recoil pads.

Check out Fox Ridge Outfitters. They still carry a similar gun.
[url] http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/detail.cfm?section=7&subsection=34,39&product=3454[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back