• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lets see those Range Boxes!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@McGuire2003, go for it.

About 3 years ago, I made my range box of 3/4" pine. It did all I wanted in having room for what I planned to do at the range. I needed a wheeled cart to drag it from my van to the loading benches. Now it rests on the cart at home and I am using a lighter box.
That's why this one appealed to so much as it did. The fact that it's 1/2" solid wood got me to thinking about the weight. But a thought that ran through my head concerned the use of finger joints in the box as shown in the article. 1/2" Sande wood plywood (5-layered and double veneered) is rather light (and relatively cheap), and the box joints would be quite strong, serving the best of both worlds. Just my ramblings inside my head.

For what we need to make and how we use our range boxes, a rebated joint would be sufficient. Sometimes in these Fine Woodworking magazines, they just like to show off a very high skill level. Although I do admit, those finger joints do look good. Quite frankly, such joints are above my skill level. I guess I could make them on my 70 year old Shopsmith. I have done the rebates.

Range Box.JPG

And the pistol stand fits in there too. Standing joke at the range that it's too heavy to be really useful or efficient. Of course, I have stuff that no one else has at the range. It's just not all that often that I have to find that unique tool.

My range box is a bag these days. Carry everything I need crammed in it. Used to haul around an old Civil War-style wood camelback chest but too bulky, too heavy.

Attachments

• IMG_2080.jpeg
    IMG_2080.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back