• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lets see some of those heavy bear and game guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my .62cal Jager rifle built for me by Jud Brennan in 1979. I killed a bull moose with it that year with a load of 200grs of 2FF behind a .610prb

Pictured with it is a .69cal double barrel that I load one barrel with a round ball and the other with 9 .32 balls (buckshot). Makes a good back up at close range.

Bear_Medicine.JPG

Well, thats one heck of a photo :hatsoff: Is that from a sequence to Jeremiah Johnson :grin:

200 gr? Dang! Is that a normal load for .62, or a mag load?

That was a heavy load I worked up just for that hunt.I wanted the heaviest load I could use and still get good accuracy. It may sound like overkill but as it turned out I was glad I used it. I jumped the bull from his bed and as he ran straight away, the ball took him on the inside of the left ham, traveled full length of him and ended under the hide just a little right of center in the brisket. The big ball hit just about every major organ on it's way through and he only went 100yd's before going down.

My normal load for deer and bear is 120gr 2FF

Ron of all the pictures in the books and magazines I have seen you in, those two of you with your moose are my favorite. I like that Jager too. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Joe

Thanks Joe,

A little more about the hunt. We were 40 miles as the crow flies downstream. The river flowed north towards Hudson Bay. It took two days to come out to our take off point at roads end. Going upstream with motors on our square stern canoes was a slow process because we were loaded pretty heavy. On the second day it started to rain then turned to snow...but I was grinning all the way :grin:

Moose%20float1.bmp

Moose%20float3.bmp

For some reason pictures won't come up. :hmm:

Here's a scratch-built snaphaunce carbine that I built with a .62 caliber rifled Rayl barrel. I built the lock myself from castings from TRS. The trigger, trigger guard, and front sight were all homemade (and it looks like it too). It shoots pretty tight groups, but I'm not done sighting it in, so I haven't taken it hunting yet.

snaphauncenaturallight.jpg

snaphauncenaturallightcheekside.jpg

closeuplock.jpg

:bow: Man those are some very fine rifles. I've always been a big fan of big-bore guns. I currently have my .50 cal.Traditions Hawken,but would like to get a .54 cal. or larger after the holidays. Thanks for the photos.

Holy smoke! :shocked2: That means that ball weighs close to 1750 grains if my goesintas are correct. Impressive.

Let me double check; 4 goesinta 7000 1750 times. Yep, thats right.

:hatsoff:

Joe

Here's a doe I shot last week with the .62 Jager pictured above. A heart shot from 35yd's...the load was 115gr 2FF behind a .600prb

big_doe.jpg

There wasn't enough left of the heart to save.

Deer%20Heart%20.62cal%20(1).jpg

Moosefloat1.jpg

Moosefloat3.jpg

Ron The pictures you posted were in BMP format ... thats the reason they would not post! I hope you do not mind I adjusted them for you and made them jpgs to post here! :hmm: :grin:

Davy

Back