• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

leon beaux caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all, i purchased a large tote full of m/l supplies at a small local gun show yesterday. among the ton of stuff was 2 large tins of musket caps, 2 sealed navy arms tins, 2 original sealed winchester tins. 3 older remington sealed tins , an alcon tin [ open] 1 rws small caps and 5 sealed tins of these leon beaux caps from italy . the leons and remington have no size on cans. guess it was like striking gold . has anyone heard of these caps??? thanks. 2 shots

hi all, i purchased a large tote full of m/l supplies at a small local gun show yesterday. among the ton of stuff was 2 large tins of musket caps, 2 sealed navy arms tins, 2 original sealed winchester tins. 3 older remington sealed tins , an alcon tin [ open] 1 rws small caps and 5 sealed tins of these leon beaux caps from italy . the leons and remington have no size on cans. guess it was like striking gold . has anyone heard of these caps??? thanks. 2 shots
Can't help with the leon beaux. I have some older tins of Remington and the cap size is printed on a paper band that surrounds the tin; if these bands were originally glued down as a seal the glue has dried on my tins and they could easily fall off and get lost.

be careful if you should use them they may have a corrosive chlorate priming mixture.
I have no idea when Remington went to a non corrosive primer but it was along time ago.
Bunk

#12's are the next size larger than #11's, they haven't been made in years. I think I was at the same show at the American Legion in Babylon and bought a few small things from him.

LBC, LEON BEAUX, BEAUX Leon Beaux & Cie. (1889-1960s?) - Milan, Italy.
A company created as a front for SFIM, the Italian sales division of SFM, the munitions division of the French firm Gevelot.
It was an Italian-registered firm created for tax purposes.
Leon Beaux, an SFIM salesman, took over from Henri Barthe as president of SFIM in 1889 and the front company was renamed after him.
In 1932 the company was renamed Società Italiana Munizioni, Léon Beaux & C., Milano (SIM, "Italian Association for Munitions") but was still owned by Gevelot.
It was briefly nationalized by Mussolini's government from July, 26 1940 to October 19, 1943.
After the war Gevelot had SFM manufacture the cartridge components in France and had SIM assemble them in Italy.

AFAIK, they were in business until at least the early 1970's - the year of manufacture is sometimes found on the back of the tins.

These caps are rare today, so I would think the tins themselves would be very collectible (yes, there are tin container collectors), with un-opened/full examples moreso.

A google search for them F/S will produce examples ……..

yes, that was the place smokepole. i had never seen 12's before. i kept digging thru the box finally made a deal on the thing. looks like a grand worth of caps if you look on ebay. L.O.L.

That's quite a trove you have acquired! Good for you! Chances are the caps will still pop, too.

I had never heard of Leon Beaux caps, and I appreciate the information. I'm familiar with the others, and have a few kicking around, including one tin of Navy Arms musket caps that were acquired shortly before they became unavailable. I do know that caps used to be made and marketed in more sizes than we see now. It was my understanding that #12 caps used to be the most common size, up until some time in the late 20th century. Now you can't get them at all, unless you find some old stock, like @2 shots did.

I still have a few tins of Alcan #12's from a box of 1,000 (ten tins with 100 caps each), with the original but time-worn wrapper. I recall these were purchased, along with some black powder, from a hardware store in Live Oak, Florida, in about 1967. I think I still have four or five full tins and one partially used. We also have a few old but un-used nipples sized for #12 caps. The #12 caps are a little larger than #11's, maybe with a little more priming compound and therefore a bit hotter, more like the #11 "Magnum" caps, I would guess. The slightly larger size also makes them just a bit easier to manipulate than #11's. I, for one, would like to see the #12 caps come back. I doubt it'll happen, though. At this point, it would be great to see any caps at all back on the dealers' shelves...

Notchy Bob

It sounds like I should have dug deeper into the box, congratulations on a great find. That is a great little show if you've never been to it before.

smokepole, the caps were separate from box, he tossed em in when i got the other stuff. that show is normally in freeport and larger .. i have been a member of that club for 20+ years. the north east show is normally in that hall. are you a member?? are you the guy that got the leather m/l case from joe?? 2 shots

I have a can with a few in it that were purchased in 1965 when I bought my first muzzleloader. I was surprised that I still had the can

Back