• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Uberti 1849 Pocket Revolver Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballistic Products normally sells .330 buckshot but it's currently out of stock.--->>> Super Buck Lead #00 (8 lb/jar) .330-ballisticproducts.com

I continue to use the 00 (.330) buckshot extracted from 12ga shotgun shells since I haven't found any source for .330 lead balls. Relatively easy to find, each shell has 9 balls in it, five shells to a box, so 45 balls for $7, or 90 balls for $14. A box of 100 Hornady balls (if found) goes for about $18. For that money, I don't mind having to use shotgun shells. Just be sure that the balls are lead and not something harder.

Had a better day at the range on Friday. Fewer cap jams. I set up a torso-sized silhouette target at about 30-35yds or so (42 of my paces) and used a rest to get the best possible groups. At that distance, I anticipated a fair amount of bullet drop so I aimed at the top of the target. First two shots did not hit the paper, and my son thought they went over the top. Really! So I aimed in the middle and got a surprise. The next three rounds all hit within about 8" of the aiming point and tended to be slightly high and right. Probably due to sight and trigger pull errors. Continued to use about 8grs of 777 and CCI #11 and Remington #10 caps. CCI #10s do not fit on the SlixShot nipples.

Since that powder load is relatively light, I might consider upping it a bit. Perhaps the higher velocity might tighten the groups up a little.

We spent some time firing the 36 and 44 at the same target with those two grouping better around the aiming point. I thought the "card table" 31 did quite well at the longer distances.

Back