• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

left hand renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was a bit worried about pieces of the cap hitting the shooter in the face. I bought this renegade and it took me a week to realize it was a lefty. Trouble is I got it to introduce my son to black powder and I feel a bit ignorant that I didnt notice. The gun is perfect and doesnt appear to ever have been fired

renegade fan said:
Is there any problems shooting a left hand renegade right handed ?

Only "problem" is that if it has a cheekpiece, it will be on the wrong side - I have a couple of righthanded rifles with cheekpieces, and I shoot them lefthanded. Guy at the range brought this to my attention one afternoon. I showed him a couple of my targets, and asked to see HIS, and he just wandered off - maybe there's an advantage to shooting righthanders lefthanded?

renegade fan said:
I was a bit worried about pieces of the cap hitting the shooter in the face.
That's usually not a problem, unless remnants of a previously fired cap is stuck in the hammer cup. All you have to do is look each time.
What happens is the shooter has the hammer action happening in front of his field view instead of off to the side, it's something that you'll get used too, but not really desirable.
Consider selling it and buying a right handed gun.
There's always a market for those lefties and the Lefty renegade is getting tuff to find,, driving the price up a bit.

But;
Before you do that make sure your son isn't cross dominant a lot of people find out they are,,, Right handed with a Left Dominant eye!
(That's what I found with my son)
If he's left eye,, he should shoot left handed.

i'm terminally left-handed & all my guns are right-hand. I always wear shootin' glasses & long-sleeved shirts & never have had any problems(except for cap frags stingin' my arms when I forget the long-sleeved shirt when I go to the range).

This thing has a big williams peep sight on it and it hangs off the left side anyway. No way gonna sell this thing, I sold the one I had years ago and it was a big mistake, a fine shooting rifle

Also want to thank all of you that replied very much

Shoot both a T/C Hawkin and a Seneca right hand percussion left handed. Never found it a problem at all. Of course I have never owned a left hand rifle in my life though planning to buy my 1st very soon. A poor boy southern flinter which will also be my 1st flintlock :thumbsup: . Also I personally think you shouldn't shoot any firearm of any type without eye protection. You only got two and you need to protect them at all cost.

We got to shoot the Renegade today and the lefty issue wasnt an issue, gun shot fantastic like all the TCs I have fired in the past.

Thanks again for the replies

I shoot left hand as that side is my dominate eye even though I am right handed and shot that way until age 12.

I own several TC Renegades and only one is left hand and that one I don't shoot that much as it just doesn't pattern like the others mainly. Most all guns I have shot in my life (age 62)are right side firearms. The snail breech is good I guess as I never seem to notice any undue sparks, etc. maybe that is why. I have never had any negative shooting because of it in my life anyway.
I use musket size caps too on all my rifles. Hope this helps!

Well, I'm having a problem with mine...

...where did you find left-handed caps? I actually need left-handed musket caps but the only ones I can find are German and though I can't read the lid they're pretty clearly for locks that are to the right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure what your problem is Alden (other than the obvious), but I've got several tins of the proper musket caps sitting in front of me.

They're Dynamit Nobel No. 1081L. They are specifically marked "Vorderlader-Zünderhütchen"

and: "Vorsicht! Nür Für linkshänder gebrauch!"

Alden said:
Well, I'm having a problem with mine...

...where did you find left-handed caps? I actually need left-handed musket caps but the only ones I can find are German and though I can't read the lid they're pretty clearly for locks that are to the right.

Any help would be appreciated.
:bow: too funny! :grin: :haha: :rotf:

Back