• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LEE 360gr Minie 50cal.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have this mold and cast some bullets with it. I have not shot it yet, but I need to ask a question. The bullet falls all the way down the bore by itself. Are they supposed to do this? I know they are supposed to be easy to load, but this is too easy. I am afraid it will move forward before I can shot it.

I thought about expanding the skirt a little to make it ingrave a little so it will hold the bullet in place. Or should I just seat it it really hard to see if the base expands?

Slightly over sized bore it sounds like. No, you can use a bastard file or any file for the matter and knurl the bullets skirt up a bit. Just take the file and push it into the skirt and roll it across. The files abrasive will cause little chunks of lead to stick up and make for a snugger fit in your barrel.

Kentuckywindage said:
Slightly over sized bore it sounds like. No, you can use a bastard file or any file for the matter and knurl the bullets skirt up a bit. Just take the file and push it into the skirt and roll it across. The files abrasive will cause little chunks of lead to stick up and make for a snugger fit in your barrel.

If knurling the bullets with a file as Kentuckywindage suggests doesn't give you satisfactory results, another idea you might consider is using a thin cardboard wad over the slug, just like the overshot wads used in shotguns and fowlers. Use a 9/16" diameter punch and make wads out of cereal box or even shirt-backer cardboard.

The theory is that the skirt expands when the powder charge goes off and the minie loads easily even with some fouling in the barrel. Still, that sounds fairly loose to me. Try shooting a few and see what kind of accuracy you get. It may not be good.

PA100037.jpg

In a pinch I've wrapped loose fitting bullets with teflon plumbers tape. Works pretty well. I suspect a paper patch wrap would work as well.

Dang, that looks pretty good to me. :thumbsup:

Wish I could still see well enough to shoot like that. :cursing:

Me too :( at 75 yards my target is kinda too blurry to shoot that good, but I bet my rifle is that good, it's the person behind it that can't see. 50 to 60 yards is my limit. BTW thats some good shooting , your probably right about paper patching it or plumber taping it!

Thanks guys that is my hunting load. If you want to see some accurate shooting check out Idaho Ron and his paper patched bullets and targets. Incredible!

And he is just one of many talented members here who have some good insight. :thumbsup:

Back