• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder coated Minie balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtire

32 Cal.
Reaction score
This is more of a question than an informational post.

So, here goes. I have shot some Diablo shaped (wasp-waisted air rifle pellet looking things) hollow based slugs out of a .40 cal. rifled sidelock as well as a twice barreled percussion. 410 smooth bore with good results and it gave me an idea.

Those powder coated slugs are hell for tough. I know that if you push hollow based slugs too hard, the skirts blow off so this limits how hard you can push them. I've had pure lead slugs do this. Having seen how the solid pure lead P/C bullets not only hold together but mushroom nicely when pushed hard, got me wondering if a P/C Minie would retain its skirt if one were to push it harder? Anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

I've tried powder coating minies and saw no difference in performance. At powder charges where accuracy started to deteriorate without powder coat, it did the same with powder coat. Distort the skirt on a minie, and accuracy will go away.

I've tried powder coating minies and saw no difference in performance. At powder charges where accuracy started to deteriorate without powder coat, it did the same with powder coat. Distort the skirt on a minie, and accuracy will go away.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, that makes sense to me. I might try a few but I think now, it probably won't work.

I believe the old Lyman ml manual shows pics of blown skirts. Minies do have their limits. Long time rifled musket champion, Pete Alan, often preached there was no advantage to using large charges in a rifled musket. Stay with what works.
You are correct about the Lyman Manuel. I have posted the following before.

Skirt damage is well known with moderate to heavy charges to anyone shooting Minies. Here is shirt damage as documented in the Lyman Black Powder Handbook. Should make it very easy to see and understand.
upload_2020-1-25_21-24-27.jpeg

upload_2020-1-25_21-24-57.jpeg

Latest posts

Back