• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather Treatment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbpBurner

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a bunch of drawstring deerskin leather bags back in the 70's, and recently came across one I made for Dad's .40 cal RB's for the rifle he made. The leather was chemical tanned & the balls were all badly oxidized. Can I soak the bag in water to leach out any excess chemical & what can be used to treat it to prevent it from corroding shiney new balls stored in it?

All tanned leather has salts in it.which is why you should never leave a knife stored in a leather case. Soaking the bag in water will leech out some of he salts but will weaken the leather leaving tiny cracks as it dries. I always treat my leather products with a pure neat'sfoot oil. It will darken the leather but preserve it and leave it flexible.

....to prevent it from corroding shiney new balls stored in it?

Oil up the balls before you place them inside.
and apply a lot of mink oil or neatsfoot oil to the bag.
It's lead oxide that forms on the bullets, which means that it's probably not the chemicals, but the exposure to oxygen. They will go "frosty" even in a DIY brain-tanned bag, or the manufacturer's box holding the bullets upon the shelf. They may go dull gray but won't go frosty with in a greased bag that seals well ;)

LD

If you can turn the bag inside out clean it with saddle soap and warm water (you don't want to inhale the oxidized powder). Blot it with an absorbent rag to remove excess moisture and then let it dry. Rub in neats foot oil. Turn bag right side out and clean the outside following the same process. Let it sit a few days before using it. If the leather is already cracked from age you will want to very gently clean it. I use a soft toothbrush.
Balls take quite a long time to oxidize, I always shoot mine long before that happens. But if you're not shooting much store your balls in some other container.

Back