• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Leather softener

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 52723

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey guys any suggestions for softening and dulling a hard shiny leather sling I have. Great sling just uncomfortable to use, thanks.

Saddle soap helps, but may not soften as much as you like. It might take sessions of rubbing it in and working the sling. Neatsfoot oil may work a bit faster.
Others may have more suggestions.

Rubbing alcohol and vaseline. Works to bring leather back after sitting and drying for years, we use it on antique basketballs and footballs. Takes a bit, but softens the leather back to its original softness.

Fiebings mink oil paste. Bought a Triple K Hunter’s Shoulder Holster for my Uberti 1858 New Model Army and the leather straps were a bit brittle. Put 3 or 4 coatings of mink oil paste on both sides as well as the holster and they are supple and soft.

natural oils will rot your stitches ie neatsfoot or mink oil.... try herberts or Lexol first. I prefer Lexol for most leather and herberts for my shoes and boots. I especially like Bic4 or Ballistol. If that all doesn't work the leather is to dry with either age, or heat or both. Just like OJ Simpson's gloves, if the leather gets hot it shrinks and gets hard permanently. Slings are not hard to get, make, or have made....either way are readily available.

natural oils will rot your stitches ie neatsfoot or mink oil
This is true (at least for some kinds of stitching material) over time, but if used as an initial softening treatment, I haven't had any problems with it (I've typically used it this way on my slings). And it's THE traditional treatment for horse tack (which is often SOAKED in it), and at least used to be the traditional treatment for baseball gloves. But I'm with in in generally preferring Lexol as a long term and repeatable solution.

Oh, one other thing about neatsfoot oil ... You need to be careful which product you use. I THINK that the only genuine 100% neatsfoot oil left on the market is Niebing's.

Oh, one other thing about neatsfoot oil ... You need to be careful which product you use. I THINK that the only genuine 100% neatsfoot oil left on the market is Niebing's.
They also have a silicone added product. I have used both and cannot see any difference. I am aware of the strong opposition to silicone additives because the "ain't authentic".

Hey guys any suggestions for softening and dulling a hard shiny leather sling I have. Great sling just uncomfortable to use, thanks.

The leather treatment product that is best for you to use is determined somewhat by the type(s) of leather that your sling is made from. ... You sure are getting a lot of nice answers if your question had been... What is your favorite leather product....

Back