• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Learned something new today about delayed ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always used a half pan no less . I hunt a lot out here in the west and most of that is walking in places that will make even a tight pan will leak some powder .

As to ignition , I have found a couple things that seem to really make a difference to me .
make sure that you have good spark . Just like said above , one spark will do but 5 or 6 will do better .
I have seen many guys wipe their frizzen with their thumbs , I have come to the conclusion that this as well as wiping the edge of the flint with your fingers retards the spark greatly . Think about it , your stock is greased, your fumbling with oiled patches

:crackup: :crackup: At the very least you avoid turning your backs to them eh? wink, wink, nudge, nudge! :crackup:

I'm pleased to sat we dont get Poofs in percussion, just a dull crack when things dont ackle. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Mr. Zoni,
Once again, it seems as though there is more than one way to skin a cat. Getting the gun to fire as quickly as possible with the least chance of a misfire, as it were. The "line of powder" in the bottom of the pan (without touching the flash hole) makes a lot of sense when trying to catch that elusive spark. Especially if there happens to be only a few for one reason or another. Pretty much the way we started out many years ago but suspect I was using too much powder in the pan and letting it touch the "hole" as well. Always fired (if there was any spark at all) but was a "fuse" for sure.
Time for another play session as we have been using the "powder to the outside of the pan" method for a while now. Thanks for the advice.
Best Wishes

I'm pleased to sat we dont get Poofs in percussion, just a dull crack when things dont ackle. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Wal, Ah have herd a few Poofs frum som O them precussion shootin folks now an than.
Course, most O em ait ole Stumpkillars chili tha nite befor. :: ::

Talk 'bout addin sum aroma...

I found 4F the best, 2pusehes on the primer but the most important was a clear gap between the powder and vent.
Rex Dev :thumbsup:

Nawwww. Stumpy straight.

MongoBut200JPG.jpg

I must have missed Rule No. 1. I know I have my own concerning them. What is the British procedure, if you can tell me here? ::

Its a very old Monty Python sketch which goes something like
Rule nbr 1 NO P***T**
Rule nbr 2 NO taking the P*** out of the Aussies
Rule nbr 3 NO P**F***
Etc ,etc

I'm going to have to dig out my Python collection and look for that! :: I'm afraid we're drifting away considerably from the original topic. It is amazing how the meaning of a word can be so different on opposite sides of the Big Pond and cause such a phenomenon! The main thing to remember is to avoid both kinds of poofs at all costs! They can both cause you BIG problems. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

captchee: I followed most of what you said except I don't follow your last. (I pick the vent before every shot) that sounds good but,(just after loading the pan and closing the frizzen) how do you do that or did your fingers get ahead of your thoughts as mine do sometimes. I can't get to the vent with the frizzen closed. Just yanking your chain.
Fox :thumbsup:

just after loading the pan and closing the frizzen) how do you do that or did your fingers get ahead of your thoughts as mine do sometimes. I can't get to the vent with the frizzen closed. Just yanking your chain.
Fox
LMAO :thumbsup:

ya i ment to say ; before closing the frizzen .

you know that one point has help me allot . A gentleman named David Cane shared a thought with me . He felt that if a channel was made for the flash to get to the middle of the main charge the ignition would be better . I would have to say im not sure that is true , maybe its just the fact that the flash hole is clear, what ever it is it works .

On this same note I read ???? Book is here somewhere about feathering the touch hole . Seems there is contradicting ideas on this description. Some feel to feather the hole is to counter sink the face of the liner . Others seem to think that it was to place a feather in the flash hole to show the rifle was not charged .
Dave said that he had read that some original rifles were found with a feather quill in the touch hole with a full load in the barrel .
I know of a few guys that load with the vent pick in the liner and swear it improves things , soo could loading this way be really what feathering the touch hole is about ?
don

I've read some accounts years ago where the rifleman stuck a small quill into the vent before loading. I prefer to pick it after loading because not only does it open the hole for the flash, it also pushes any crud out of the way that may have been pushed into the hole while wiping or loading. If you have a coned liner, fouling can build up within the cone and cause problems. Moving the wire around a little while picking the hole breaks some of that up and pushes it away from the hole. It's worked for me for a long time.
:front:

During a Sam Fadala shooting seminar, we used chronograph to test the differences in using a vent pick before and after loading. Our results indicated that the differences in shot to shot consistency were clearly better using the vent pick during loading. Using it after loading did prove better than not using it at all.

After several repetitions of the test, I was convinced, and since then have always used a vent pick in the touchhole during loading.

We also tested differing amounts of priming. There was quite a bit of variability, but we got the apparent best results by having only enough priming to reach the bottom of the touchhole. Rolling the rifle side to side helped to level the priming and to lead a bit of the priming into the channel made by the vent pick. We got the best results using that procedure.

Cap'n Ted :results:

My thoughts on the vent feather. When you've set the ball with the feather in place you have created a cone from the vent into the powder charge. When the feather is removed, the cone (hopefully) remains. When the prime flashes, the blast now has direct access into the main charge (without hitting just the first few kernels at the vent or having to fight the pressure wave bouncing up against the barrel/powder. There is also much more surface area for the main charge exposed to the flash to get things rolling.

Can I prove this happens or even makes a difference? No. It seems to, but that may just be wishful thinking. When I'm shooting slowly and carefully I do this. Usually, I just wipe the frizzen and pan and then poke the feather in after the shot out of habit to clear the vent, and as a "safety" while loading. I have no doubt as the firearm is handled and jostled the cone quickly fills in.

A bunch of little differences can make a big difference.

Latest posts

Back