• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just may buy some swaged balls next time I'm in the "big city". There are no black powder supplies within 60 miles of where I live. Now if I can fiqure out what size. Probably the .454s. Maybe? I hear you get a better seal than with anything smaller. I use a press and it should handle these soft lead balls alright without straining the frame of the revolver. Correct me if I'm wrong, I"m new at this cap and ball thing.

Like I said earlier I just may go that " store-bought" route. Is any brand any better than the other or they all just about the same? Lead is lead in other words

Over the years my lead has came from several sources. I used to work in an auto shop and with permission from the boss the lead wheel weights came come with me. The Snap on Man ended up with two huge rolls of lead, he was going to use it as weight, but didnt have a way to melt or cast it into the shape he wanted, so I talked him out of it. After moving on from the shop, my friends (techs) used to save the lead for me. As we all know times change and the last weights I picked up were zinc.

Currently, I have struck a deal with a salvage yard. I get all lead at current market price. It saves them hauling it and they get a fair price. Win, Win!!

Once I answered a news paper ad for lead at $.10 per pound. Ended up meeting a nice older lady and told her she was selling it too cheap, I gave her $.25 per pound. We got to chatting, she mentioned her husband passed and asked me if I could give her a value on some of his stuff. I bought a few other things as well from her. Reloading, casting and BPCR items. She listed most of it for sale and later called to thank me for helping her not sell his stuff too cheaply.

As for tin, I have bought bar solder at auctions for years. Typically doesn't bring much...

Lead is where you find it. If your having trouble in your area, let some folks know what your looking for and chances are you will find it. With any luck you will meet some good folks along the way.

Next time I'm in town I'll stop by the salvage yard and see if they have any scrap lead.Maybe I can trade them several trash bags of Aluminum cans. Though I really dont know why. I'll probably never use up my stash in the garage. I guess its the hoarder (pack rat) in me.

On the subject of lead. A neighbor gave me a bunch of old fishing weights, I read somewhere that melting these can be dangerous because of any water trapped inside of them. They've been in my garage for 6 months. Would any water still remain?

Thanks for the advice. Also its not really necessary to remove the wire clips or whatever those little thingys sticking out of fishing weights are is it? Eyes , I think they are called.Usually if it isnt lead it'll float to the top???

On the subject of lead. A neighbor gave me a bunch of old fishing weights, I read somewhere that melting these can be dangerous because of any water trapped inside of them. They've been in my garage for 6 months. Would any water still remain?

How is water going to get inside a lead weight? If there was water after 6 months it should be all dry out.

How is water going to get inside a lead weight? If there was water after 6 months it should be all dry out.
It's surprising how water under pressure can seep into tight places and not evaporate under air pressure alone.
I have seen steam released from weights that have been dry for a long time. Especially the long ones that go on a line with the little tabs that wrap around the line after the body is crimped. I think they must have been installed on a wet line or may have been wet when installed in the first place. I try not to overthink it, and although a remote risk, it does exist. I have seen the same thing from melting range scrap that is mixed with dirt and berm "stuff".

It's surprising how water under pressure can seep into tight places and not evaporate under air pressure alone.
I have seen steam released from weights that have been dry for a long time. Especially the long ones that go on a line with the little tabs that wrap around the line after the body is crimped. I think they must have been installed on a wet line or may have been wet when installed in the first place. I try not to overthink it, and although a remote risk, it does exist. I have seen the same thing from melting range scrap that is mixed with dirt and berm "stuff".

Good to know, would never of thought of that, I learn stuff everyday.

Watch those weights I had one blow up in my pot a few weeks back. Molten lead on skin does not feel good. I just let myself get in a hurry!
Thanks goodness it’s cold here and I was heavy dressed. It did ruin my duck hunting coat. What a mess!

That's interesting. The reason they use lead is that it does not readily absorb radiation especially in short exposures, so how putting a symbol on it makes it somehow dangerous is just silly. Gotta love the pin heads that think this stuff up, but I digress.
I have several hundred pounds of lead from those above mentioned containers. It's not pure lead. It's quite a bit harder. I use it for making pistol bullets and it's perfect for that.
With the Chinese taking over the corporate world, does anyone know of a domestic source of lead? (I had to leave a literal lifetime's supply behind when moving from Alaska...)

everyone should know that lead shielding from X-Ray labs will not be radioactive. The lead does not ABSORB anything. It blocks radioactive waves.
even using an actual radioactive "source", or " pill ", such as iridium 192 (193?) which field radiographers use, there is no contamination of the lead shielding.

When melting lead or casting I always wear long sleeves, pants and closed toe leather shoes and wear thick leather gloves. I like welders gloves. Wear cotton or wool or a leather welders apron etc would be good too. Stay away from polyester, nylon etc. Those things melt and stick to the skin.

Way back in the beginning of this thread someone mentioned XRay foil from a dentists office. I've tried that but it seems every office had the same old story. " We dont do that anymore, we've gone digital". Is lead foil a thing of the past? It seems some of the public has been brainwashed into believing lead is a bad thing.

Back