• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead thermometer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we better get back to discussing thermometers and not each others grammar or spelling.

As for me, I use a thermometer to keep an eye on the melted leads temperature.

Yes, I've cast a lot of lead just checking out the results to see if the temperature is about right but I've found that when adding lead to the pot, the temperature can change quite a lot.

Even dumping half a dozen "culls" back in will lower the melts temperature a bit.

I'm using a Lee, bottom pour pot to do the melting and although the thermostat does a good job of regulating the temperature, it takes a bit of futzing to get it set right.

Without the thermometer, it would take even more futzing just using the "guess" method.

The bottom line?
No. A thermometer isn't required to cast bullets and balls.

Yes. It can be a handy tool to make casting easier. :)

Well my grammar and spelling sucks. I went ahead and ordered me a thermometer just to be on the safe side.

I'm just learning about casting, so no opinion on using a lead thermometer. But...

:eek:ff After taking the temperature on this thread, I have to comment: most of the folks we emulate in this sport spoke nothing close to "Proper English". I had good friends who were Geordies, from Tyneside in Northumberland, who were physically beaten in school because they spoke their native tongue - which is at least as old and "correct" as London English.

The English language is a living, evolving thing, unlike Latin, which is a fixed, and dead, language. We may not like the way it evolves, but all we can do is police our own usage.

I am not being critical of any previous posters, and the poster did inquire as to his usage (commendably). I just don't want to see anyone be discouraged from posting because of grammatical or spelling worries.

There are times when I have to spend extra effort to figure out what a poster is saying, but I have always found that effort worthwhile. So all of you'ns (yinz) just keep the posts comin'.

:eek:ff I recall a guy here would post and I could mostly make out his message. I was sure he was drunk but then I learned he was OLD and headed off to assisted living (IIRC). My poor usage is my own lazy fault :redface:

Well, I have never SEEN a thermometer for lead, much less used one, maybe it looks like the one in my turkey fryer! I've casted round balls, smokeless pistol and rifle bullets, and minis and always used the "if it's wrinkled it's too cold, if it's frosted it's too hot" method. It's always worked for me.

Eterry

Last edited by a moderator:
MSW said:
Billnpatti said:
:eek:ff :hmm: Since you asked, "I also" is the more grammatically correct form. However it is seldom used and "Me, too" has become an accepted part of the modern lexicon and is the more often used term. It seems that grammatically correct English is receiving less emphysis in schools today and, as a result, is now circling the drain. :idunno:

ok - I confess!!
:eek:ff :eek:ff :eek:ff

check out the dreadful grammar used by broadcast and print journalists - especially when they're "live" and they're not just reading the teleprompter and doing their "talking head" thing.

it is a sad day when mill workers sit around the break room and 'pimp' the grammar of the local newspaper, but we do it all the time.

by the way - get the thermometer: you'll find it money well spent, imho.

The same with cursive handwriting, they don't teach it anymore.

Eterry said:
Well BPD you are on to something there...I always melted ww and cast them for my pistols, gas checking them for my 357 & 44, but I have a 5 gal bucket of ww's and have been thinking about making rb with them.
Great idea, thanks

Eterry

Be very careful with any round balls you make from wheel weights. Most wheel weights are alloyed with tin or antimony. They will cast just fine but the resulting round balls be much harder and a different weight than pure lead balls as the alloys are noticeably lighter. So they will load and shoot differently than pure lead balls. May have to change your patching thickness to get them to load as well due to the hardness, and you point of impact will change due to the weight difference.

It is a cheap source and you can use them if you like but for the sake of your sanity at the range or when hunting, keep them well marked and separate so you don't mix them with pure lead balls.

Good to know that it takes a higher heat to melt the lead alloy wheel weights. :grin: May be able to melt the pure lead ones and pull the alloy ones out of the melting pot. I just discarded a bunch of wheel weights because I didn't want to mix them in with my normal rb's.

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

Back