• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead Supply?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo Man

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve noticed a few companies are out of stock of different size lead balls. Probably panic buying, but is there possibly a shortage of lead or will or could there be a shortage of lead in the future?

So the story on lead is that many people feel it is going to go the way of copper right now, and triple quickly. I am getting from local guys for about a buck a pound right now, but on ebay it's' over three bucks. It would be smart to secure some lead at this juncture.

I’ve noticed a few companies are out of stock of different size lead balls. Probably panic buying, but is there possibly a shortage of lead or will or could there be a shortage of lead in the future?
Check with recycling centers and junk dealers.
I don’t think roofers use lead as much as they used to.
Invest in a few molds. Money well spent. Anybody that shoots metallic centerfire or muzzleloaders should have already bought molds for their guns. Anyone who hasn’t will be paying the price from here on out.

lead will not rust , so get as much as you can while you can.Like many componets of our hobby it will just keep getting costlier and harder to get. The recycling center where I used to get my lead won't sell or brass it to the public any more.

There are no lead mines left in the US. Buy accordingly.

There’s lead mines, just no primary lead refineries. The lead mined in the U.S. is all exported. There is plenty of lead in the U.S. from recycled sources. Companies that refine secondary sources of lead are where companies that make lead products in the U.S. get their lead, mostly from car batteries.

I judt got a batch from a friend that dors bath remodels...turns out the lead pans under the old mud bed showers is pure lead...im.good for at least 100 years

Now find 3f...half my rifles are flinters...i use 3f all the time for shots and prime...got a mess of caps...I'm thinking powder is the next on endangered species list...

I sold about a thousand pounds to a scrap dealer years ago. Wish I would have known,

I judt got a batch from a friend that dors bath remodels...turns out the lead pans under the old mud bed showers is pure lead...im.good for at least 100 years

Now find 3f...half my rifles are flinters...i use 3f all the time for shots and prime...got a mess of caps...I'm thinking powder is the next on endangered species list...

Powderinc has been shipping consistently, but you have to buy at least 5 I think.

Got 3 or 4 plumbers that give me old lead pipes from remodels. Get a bunch from them.

Most of the tire weights are no longer lead.
They are some kind of hard zinc-type stuff that presumably is not good for making bullets.
I've never tried melting down tire weights for lead as I have been told they aren't good for casting bullets. I will say about half of the weights I get are made from that steel/zinc material and they don't melt down at all. Still beats buying small bags of egg sinkers

Back