• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead shot where to get it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancill

40 Cal.
Reaction score
There are no stores within hours of me that has shotgun reloading supplies so lead shot is not available. So where do you fellas get your shot online? I was wanting some #5 as a do all size.

Midway USA, Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading. Ballistic and Precision offer the additional benifit of selling non-toxic subs, like bismuth, if you get a hankering to waterfowl hunt.

Talk to the trap and skeet shooters in your area and find out where they buy it. Most likely they go and buy it from a club like I do. Lot cheaper too!

I make my own. I went and bought a shotmaker to make #6s, and then a couple years later read of how to make my own. The one I made is made out of a stainless steel coffee measure dipper I got from Walmart for about a dollar, with a hole put in it with a small nail and then drilled out with a 1/16" drill bit, and then tied to a stick for a handle. It makes about #4-5 size shot. Now about half of it has tails, but it doesn't seem to hurt the patterns out of either my 13ga SxS or my .54 smoothrifle.

I can email one to you if you want to post it, but always seem to mess up posting photos. Just add "at yahoo dot com" to my screen name.

As I said. It is just a coffee measure with a hole through it made with a small nail about 1/16", and crudely attached to a dowel for a handle. The shot made isn't perfect, and I still get quite a few with tails, but it is improving, slowly. Definitely not a perfect system, and I wouldn't want to have to do this as a way to supply a large group, but for personal use and what I need #5/6 size shot for, it is fast enough and the patterns are perfectly fine. I just pick out the occasional larger globs and anything with a tail on it for remelting, and use the shot. I am guessing I get 80% shot per casting session and 20% with tails, globs, etc that needs to be remelted. Since this isn't a commercial operation of any sort, this meets my needs. The shot, at least most of it, isn't perfectly round, and a lot if not most of it has dimples, but it works and I haven't had to cancel a hunt in several years now because the local store was out of shot and couldn't get any for who knows how long .

Back