• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead melting pots recommendation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The absolute best pot for casting heavy bullets and a lot of them is a Waage
https://heatingequipment.waage.com/viewitems/lead-free-tanks/1000-degrees-melting-potIt will hold temperature better than any of the others and that makes a difference when weighing match grade bullets.

But it is to expensive for a small amount of round balls, I would rate the Lyman pots next in quality and while the Lee's work I gave two of them away and kept the Waage and Lyman.

The absolute best pot for casting heavy bullets and a lot of them is a Waage
https://heatingequipment.waage.com/viewitems/lead-free-tanks/1000-degrees-melting-potIt will hold temperature better than any of the others and that makes a difference when weighing match grade bullets.

But it is to expensive for a small amount of round balls, I would rate the Lyman pots next in quality and while the Lee's work I gave two of them away and kept the Waage and Lyman.

I just bought that pot used for 120.00, still have to get it hooked up

I bought the Lee Pro4-20. I like it for casting I use it for casting balls conicals and fishing weights. I don't use it to process dirty lead I process that in cast iron pot and a propane stove.
IMG_20230920_104936527_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231001_174428431.jpg

I also use a propane fish cooker, small stainless pan, RCBS pour, and a thermometer.

Fish cooker has a pressure dial that I marked for 800 degrees.

I get better fills than with my LEE bottom pours.

The Lyman magnum 25 pot with the built in PID works extremely well. Altho the temperature setting on it and my lead thermometer did not agree, but after i figured out the difference between the two all has been well.
It works very well for either ladle or bottom pouring, and you don't have to run it thru a cool down process when your finished casting, just unplug it.

The Lyman magnum 25 pot with the built in PID works extremely well. Altho the temperature setting on it and my lead thermometer did not agree, but after i figured out the difference between the two all has been well.
It works very well for either ladle or bottom pouring, and you don't have to run it thru a cool down process when your finished casting, just unplug it.
Wow, that pot is real impressive ! Thought I'd left all those PID algorithms behind when I retired.

Lee bottom pour going strong for 25 years. Does leak a bit from time to time, i keep a ingot mold under it to catch leaks. I find putting a screw driver in the slot at the top of the stopper and spinning back and forth with a bit of pressure normally stops it.
Same for me; once in a while I pull it apart and give the pot a thorough wire brush cleaning. 25 years and still going strong. Good to remember to not let it run dry; that keeps the spout clean and gets the next melt going a bit faster.

Having used my Lyman pot for over 30 years I can’t help with the newest products. My Lee pot worked fairly well but the bottom pour seemed to leak from the start. It would be cheaper to buy the Lyman from my experience.
Same here. Bought a USED Lyman 10lb pot in the '70s. Had to re attach the heating element when it burned off a few years ago...still going strong. Bottom pour does leak occasionally,,, but usually cured with a few taps to the stopper. The Lyman has a narrow but deep cavity so I often will use the ladle. I recently got a lead thermometer and was pleased to see how consistent the Lyman thermostat is. I'm casting 50-60lbs a year now between MLs and BP cartridge rifles. I bought a new Lee 20# pot....fearing my Lyman was on its last leggs.....but haven't used it yet.

Had a lee bottom pour for years, cast untold hundreds of pounds of lead through it for modern pistol bullets.
Rheostat went out for the second time, and I upgraded to an RCBS that was on sale.
Love it. Having constant temp control is sweet. Have cast about 300 pounds for muzzleloader bullets so far, it has worked
great. Wish the pot was bigger than 25 pounds. Those .69 mini's and .760s really eat that lead fast.

Time to replace/ upgrade the lead melting pot. Was surprised at all the different models.
Does anyone have a recommendation from personal experience with any of the new units ?
Was also surprised at how expensive some models are now.
I am still using the same old Lee pots I got years ago. I take my time and just dip the lead out. Works for me.

For smelting scrap lead I use a turkey fryer and a large steel wok. I cast it into ingots and then that will go into my Lee 20# electric melters. I use both bottom pour and a dip pot. I do the smelting outside and casting inside the garage. Ventilation and safety gear is used all the time.
Clean lead.JPG

For smelting, cast iron or heavy steel pots work fine to purify your lead or alloy and get it CLEAN; steel muffin tins make great ingots and are easy to handle. DON'T mix alloys or clean your mix in a bottom pour pot! Sooner or later some unwanted junk is going to find its way to the spout and it will get you cussing. CLEAN lead or alloy will flow just fine. I'll bet most of you know that already but for those who are starting, believe me when I tell you that I learned this lesson THE HARD WAY!!!

Latest posts

Back