• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead hardness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
shot my lee real bullets today... found two thats been fired.. can you ad tin to make it softer?? seams like the might shoot good need to test them a little more. high winds. the lead is bullets i got a few back..

Attachments

• 20201230_170102.jpg
    20201230_170102.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 20201230_170119.jpg
    20201230_170119.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 66
shot my lee real bullets today... found two thats been fired.. can you ad tin to make it softer?? seams like the might shoot good need to test them a little more. high winds. the lead is bullets i got a few back..
Pure lead is pure lead; soft enough to score with a fingernail. Adding tin would harden, I believe. Lets' see what others say, but I've always been told, pure lead! You can buy at plumbing supply houses, not the big box types. Last time I paid about $2./lb. several years ago. Curious what it is now. Good luck!

I do a lot of garage sales and am always looking for lead. Some estate sales have been very good too, like 140 lbs of hospital lead, 42 lbs of linotype, and 4 1/2 lbs of cerrosafe all for 50 bucks. Look for old sinkers, lead dive weights and such. If I can scratch it with a thumbnail, it's good enough to shoot. If you happen upon a stash of old wheel weights they're good trading material for pure lead from the CBA shooters.

A little bit of tin, one part tin to forty parts of pure lead, will be a little harder than pure lead, but the molten metal will flow into the mold better. That mix will still be soft enough to load even when engraving on the lands.

if they dont expand what good are they. the hole will be the same size going in and out. round balls expand. my hornady great plains expand..

if they dont expand what good are they. the hole will be the same size going in and out. round balls expand. my hornady great plains expand..
Yes, and that hole hole is bigger than most other bullets that do expand. Trying for expansion in muzzle loading hunting is not really needed. By the time you get the velocity for expansion, accuracy on target is lost. In hunting with a muzzle loading firearm, accuracy is paramount to expansion.

Actually muzzleloader bullets do expand even one's with alloy in them.
This bullet is a RCBS 11 mm rifle bullet that I shoot paper patched out of my 45. This lead is 8.5 BHN hard, Pure is 5. This bullet was taken out of a deer. The bullet went in at the flank and angled forward. It was found in the neck. Speed is 1410 at the muzzle. Alloy bullet will expand, but like Grenadier1758 said they don't really need to.

d1YscTo.jpg

Back