• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

lead bore fouling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesp

40 Cal
Reaction score
Getting ready for my up coming elk hunt. I have decided to use the Lee 300gr REAL bullet in my Lyman Great Plains 54 cal, 1/60 twist. I use 100grs Triple 7, FF powder. First three shots are almost touching at 50 yds., dead center.The forth shot is off , at least 3" right & 2" high. I notice smeared lead in the bore. I can use a stiff bronze brush for a few strokes & accuracy is great again, for 3 shots, then falls off. My REAL bullets are well lubricated. Do others have the same problem , or is there some thing I'm over looking?

Read the thread by @chorizo in the link below and seriously consider following his lube recommendation which is
  • 3 oz beeswax (3 parts)
  • 3 fluid ozs Stihl HP Ultra fully synthetic 2 cycle oil...a little over 1 bottle (3 parts)
  • 4 ozs lanolin (4 parts)
  • 2 oz mutton tallow (2 parts)
Chorizo provided me some of it for testing and I had zero leading using it with a number of different conicals made with ‘pure’ lead (5 BHN) and 40:1 alloy (8 BHN).
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/finished-the-thumper-project.167020/

Last edited:
Read the thread by @chorizo in the link below and seriously consider following his lube recommendation which is
  • 3 oz beeswax (3 parts)
  • 3 fluid ozs Stihl ...a little over 1 bottle (3 parts)
  • 4 ozs lanolin (4 parts)
  • 2 oz mutton tallow (2 parts)
Chorizo provided me some of it for testing and I had zero leading using it with a number of different conicals made with ‘pure’ lead (5 BHN) and 40:1 alloy (8 BHN).
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/finished-the-thumper-project.167020/
Question on the Stihl oil. Which one? The synthetic in the silver bottle or the conventional in the orange? Also how critical is the type of tallow?

Question on the Stihl oil. Which one? The synthetic in the silver bottle or the conventional in the orange? Also how critical is the type of tallow?
In my opinion the Stihl HP Ultra fully synthetic 2 cycle oil in the silver bottle is critical to the success of the lube (I have modified my above post to include that detail). I believe @chorizo only used mutton tallow, though not 100% sure. Personally, I have only used mutton tallow when making the lube. Last time I purchased any was from Durofelt, though there are many sources.

Serious question here Guys, I get the lube thing but is it a too tight of a ball patch combo? Even with the worst lube the ball shouldn't touch the bore ...right? never mine guys I just saw he's using bullets....my bad.

I was wondering.. I use LBT blue lube for my center fire hand guns & cast bullets for rifle loads up to 1800 fps with almost zero lead build up. What would be wrong with using it in my ML ? Will give some a try tomorrow. Well maybe tomorrow. Big storms coming in.

I was wondering.. I use LBT blue lube for my center fire hand guns & cast bullets for rifle loads up to 1800 fps with almost zero lead build up. What would be wrong with using it in my ML ? Will give some a try tomorrow. Well maybe tomorrow. Big storms coming in.
Try it 1st , conicals aren't going near the speed of center fire (Whole different game) ,mine are 1250-1400 FPS and it requires a different lube . I suspect your leading is from to small sizing/and /or hardness (BHN) . I use pure for my rifles and (most important ) a Dura felt wad to protect the base from gas cutting . The base steers the bullet so cast hot for good crisp fill out (think compression casting) and know what your bore is exactly and I get a couple thou over on my mold dimension ,do that and leading goes away . Do that and watch game die and targets flop !/Ed

Well, OK. Weather permitting, will try LBT Blue with a felt wad, tomorrow. . Got a bunch of them. And yes, 3 accurate shots should be plenty for a hunting situation. Thanks 's all.. Great chat....

Serious question here Guys, I get the lube thing but is it a too tight of a ball patch combo? Even with the worst lube the ball shouldn't touch the bore ...right? never mine guys I just saw he's using bullets....my bad.
I’m not an expert but I believe the higher the velocity increases the risk of fowling. A pure lead bullet is pretty soft. Believe it or not that recipe SDSmif will probably help reduce it. That synthetic 2 stroke oil is some slippery stuff. Amzoil Dominator Two maybe a bit slipperier but the Stihl is great stuff and available in smaller sizes.

I’m not an expert but I believe the higher the velocity increases the risk of fowling. A pure lead bullet is pretty soft. Believe it or not that recipe SDSmif will probably help reduce it. That synthetic 2 stroke oil is some slippery stuff. Amzoil Dominator Two maybe a bit slipperier but the Stihl is great stuff and available in smaller sizes.
IdahoLewis was the first guy I knew of who tried this stuff. The 2 oz bottle worked perfectly with the SPG and NASA lube blocks. He also added peanut oil and swore by it. According to Lewis he ran pure lead over 1500 fps without leading. All I know is that the two formulas I tried (using Jojoba oil because I had it) worked perfectly and some revolvers that were leading prone will now run Kerr bullets wide open with zero leading and excellent accuracy.

Latest posts

Back