• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lee 54 mold undersized

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well...I finally got to fire some of my casted 54 LEE REAL bullets I casted earlier this month, and they shot terrible. I got a digital caliper to measure the bullets and the mold cavity, and to my surprise their undersized my .003! I know that's with in their specs, but not right. What's the best and safest way to lap them out a few thousands of a inch? Internet has too many directions with everyone being the expert. And I should note, I should only need to enlarge the top band.

You could tap them gently with a mallet on top, probably would not work and possibly deform them. The top band is the driving band, they are designed to taper to the base, so the base band should be smaller diameter. If the top band is not large enough to contact the rifling, you should call Lee Customer Service.
Personally I would re melt them and make something else. I have never had good luck with any of Lee’s Real bullets, I have tried both .45 and .50 and have had mediocre accuracy with both, never tried .54. The Lyman Plains bullet works great, but they stopped making them in .54, I have one box of them left and use them judiciously, only one or two to sight in, then hunting only. Patched round balls seem to work better in my T/C barrels which are all 1-48” twist.
You didn’t mention which rifle you were using, or the twist, that might make a difference.
Just my opinion, others will vary.

Attachments

• Resized_20201030_150620_9633.jpeg
    Resized_20201030_150620_9633.jpeg
    859 KB · Views: 0
The rifle is a Pedersoli GPH 54 cal. 1:32 twist. I've got the LEE REALs and some Improved minies that I've paper patched for the lack of finding a better mold just yet. I tried PRB but those didn't even hit the cardboard. Next I will try the minies patched or lubed and see the results and go with the best.

If you have access to a drill press it's pretty easy to lap a couple of thousands out of a mold. I have lapped quite a few iron molds but never aluminum. Cast a bullet and leave it the mold cavity. With the sprue plate closed drill a pilot hole in the bullet half the depth or so, just don't drill clear through it. I have a long sheet rock screw with the head cut off that I use. The pilot hole in the bullet is a little under the screw diameter. Once the hole is drilled open up the mold and start the screw in. Put some fine grinding compound, 240 or 320 grit, on the bullet and spin it in the mold with a cordless drill. It's a cut and try job until you get the right diameter. It takes awhile since you will have to let the mold cool enough to clean it out and then cast another bullet to check the diameter. This bullet becomes the next lap if you need to go more. Lee molds are cheap, or fairly so anyway, so you don't have much to lose if you screw it up.

Their is some molds from Accurate Molds I want/need, but bills come first and I'm on disability.
I have had a philosophy of "buy once, cry once" for a long time. The money you spend gambling on low quality products from Lee will nearly equal buying the quality item once and getting it right the first time. Save up, order the Accurate mold you want in the size you want. You won't be disappointed.

I will save up and buy the Accurate molds. In the meantime I am going to clean up the REAL mold and heat cycle it a couple more times. When I measured my 50 caliber, it came out fine. And to be honest....the 54 was the first try at bullet casting so I could of been a factor.

Well, there's no reason to think that the Lee REAL was engineered to suit the bore diameter of a Great Plains Hunter. But, hey, there's no reason to think you couldn't size them down and paper patch them too!

By the way, I've been wanting to try punching targets with the Lyman # 533476 minie paper patched in the Great Plains Hunter barrel, it having a big flat nose to cut nice holes.
If you're wanting a bullet for hunting it mite work pretty good.

533476.jpg

I plan on using my LEE 533-410 improved minie mold with paper patch. I liked the smaller grease groves on the LEE mold compared to the Lyman. I would snap a quick pic but it's heating on my hotplate right now.

There is a way to make the mould 'bigger'. The metal aluminum tape that has the sticky back .... You can put a piece of that tape on each mould face, then with an X-acto knife, cut out the bullet cavity and leave the rest of the tape on the face of the mould. That should increase your bullet size a few thousands and maybe give you a better fit.
Ohio Rusty ><>

I don't have any on hand and can't drive. Live miles from town. One more question, can you use toothpaste or any other common household item as a laping compound?

I cast from pure lead. No tin or antimony. Used Marvifux but discarded after many warnings from another post.
If you add a bit of tin to the lead, it will cast a bit larger but be warned, many muzzleloading bullets, minies in particular, work best with pure lead. You might get away with it in a REAL or round ball. Try that.

If you add a bit of tin to the lead, it will cast a bit larger but be warned, many muzzleloading bullets, minies in particular, work best with pure lead. You might get away with it in a REAL or round ball. Try that.
I cast my minie to paper patch them and use a lubed over powder wad. Basically the hollow base for the fold. When all said and done their bore size.

Back