• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest Acquisition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend brought this by today and swapped me for a WWII piece. He has the provenance from his late grandfather who traveled Europe and purchased a lot of medieval pole arms, swords and early firearms. I had the lock off today and freed up all the parts. Fitted a piece of pyrite and it sparks good. Looks like a military piece to me, but it is rifled.

Attachments

• IMG_9335.jpeg
    IMG_9335.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9337.jpeg
    IMG_9337.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9338.jpeg
    IMG_9338.jpeg
    988.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9336.jpeg
    IMG_9336.jpeg
    766.1 KB · Views: 0
A friend brought this by today and swapped me for a WWII piece. He has the provenance from his late grandfather who traveled Europe and purchased a lot of medieval pole arms, swords and early firearms. I had the lock off today and freed up all the parts. Fitted a piece of pyrite and it sparks good. Looks like a military piece to me, but it is rifled.
Stock form suggests restocked by 'Another ;' if likely in its working life, I Might be way out but the lines of it do suggest long post W lock period have you an overall pic?.
Regards Rudyard

Beautiful!
Enjoy it and keep smiling. I would also agree with a possible restock.
Love that barrel. You are really looking at the "biz nez" end!
Have you determined a caliber?

William

Opinions are always welcome. I am totally new to wheellocks. I was just wondering if there would be a reason to restock other than breakage. The last pic is the complete gun, unless it isn’t opening up. Any idea on the age of the gun? Any idea of the butt plate markings?

Of the four pics non show overall view it seems one other & a learned scholar thinks its it possible restock. still fine. I thought you sought opinions .
Rudyard
I re-visited the pics; it seems that picture #4 did show an overall view of the right side of the arm, but only when clicked to enlarge it!
It would be nice to see the overall shots of the left side, the top, and bottom of the weapon.
Thanks

Opinions are always welcome. I am totally new to wheellocks. I was just wondering if there would be a reason to restock other than breakage. The last pic is the complete gun, unless it isn’t opening up. Any idea on the age of the gun? Any idea of the butt plate markings?
Someone with the means might have it restocked for improved fit. Or simply because he did not care for the original.

Last edited:
Well the restock does appear rather Modern in forms . The Butt plate seemingly added , but original on another gun. possibly 18th C and off a very fine Continental gun .Part of its history no doubt but the original stock would be more classically. formed .The two screws to hold the fore end cap & that protruding muzzle. Suggest more recent styles . Wheellocks can have plain forms' paddle butts 'ect . But many had a cheek stocking the recoiling taken by the gripping fore arm guided by the large cheek stocking held firm by the right hand . An interesting rifle no suggestion of fakery .Certainly it got us interested ! .My guess the stocking is probably 20th C .but Ime open to other views .Phd Brewer might offer his view perhaps ?, I have catalogued for major museums and been around this stuff a long time so its not any SWAG estimate. Wood worms can eat old stocks Who ever stocked it at least got his screw heads ' North & South ' wild guess is he was English ! (Few Americans take care with the alignment of Screw heads .
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
That stock form is somewhat similar to the one Brian Anderson copied to make my wheellock, shown below. The original is in the NRA Museum where it is a 50+ caliber carbine.

The provenance is that allegedly it was found in the walls of the house, that became the museum of the Alden family of the Mayflower 1620 fame, when it was being remodeled.

It is real, it is Italian, where Dr. Beretta looked at it last year and although the makers mark are not that of his family, nor does he recognize them, he does believe that it was built early to mid-1500s.

1709037690324.jpeg

Back