• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Latest Acquisition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tarawa

Nice trade. I believe there is a real possibility this gun may be a Victorian Era copy. A combination of original parts and new made (for the time) parts. Possibly assembled in the mid to late 1800's. The lock and barrel coming from two different original guns. The stock and hardware newly made at the time. These Victorian Era copies have a small collectors following.

Rick

I re-visited the pics; it seems that picture #4 did show an overall view of the right side of the arm, but only when clicked to enlarge it!
It would be nice to see the overall shots of the left side, the top, and bottom of the weapon.
Thanks
More pics

Attachments

• IMG_9342.jpeg
    IMG_9342.jpeg
    654.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9343.jpeg
    IMG_9343.jpeg
    974.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9344.jpeg
    IMG_9344.jpeg
    931 KB · Views: 0
Hi Tarawa

Nice trade. I believe there is a real possibility this gun may be a Victorian Era copy. A combination of original parts and new made (for the time) parts. Possibly assembled in the mid to late 1800's. The lock and barrel coming from two different original guns. The stock and hardware newly made at the time. These Victorian Era copies have a small collectors following.

Rick
Hi Rick
When my friend told me about his grandfather’s collection, the first thing I mentioned to him that a lot of the medieval weapons and armor were Victorian copies. I used to see this in the old Fagan catalogues….the good old days! His grandfather documented everything (the where , when and history) of everything he collected, so I am waiting for the history from him.

A friend brought this by today and swapped me for a WWII piece. He has the provenance from his late grandfather who traveled Europe and purchased a lot of medieval pole arms, swords and early firearms. I had the lock off today and freed up all the parts. Fitted a piece of pyrite and it sparks good. Looks like a military piece to me, but it is rifled.
It’s got one heck of a maw on it. Have you measured the caliber ?
And where did you get the pyrite ?
Nice piece

By overall styling, Brian Anderson places it as a mid-1600s design. Any proof marks on the barrel?

Now if that is true polygonal rifling, that didn't begin until 1853 and whereas the Victorian era ran from mid-1800s to 1903 ... that could give additional supposition that perhaps the lock, and maybe the stock, are original, but the rest was made to give it a real appearance.

If no markings on the barrel, Bobby Hoyt from PA would be your best to check and ensure that the barrel is integral enough for live fire shooting.

Regardless of what it is or isn't ... it sure is a head turner!

By overall styling, Brian Anderson places it as a mid-1600s design. Any proof marks on the barrel?

Now if that is true polygonal rifling, that didn't begin until 1853 and whereas the Victorian era ran from mid-1800s to 1903 ... that could give additional supposition that perhaps the lock, and maybe the stock, are original, but the rest was made to give it a real appearance.

If no markings on the barrel, Bobby Hoyt from PA would be your best to check and ensure that the barrel is integral enough for live fire shooting.

Regardless of what it is or isn't ... it sure is a head turner!
I will probably make a shooter. I may limit this one to shooting paper wads.

I will probably make a shooter. I may limit this one to shooting paper wads.
Congradulations! Wheelocks of any vintage/source are beautiful in my eyes! Please make sure barrel does not have an old load in it. You said you put pyrite in the dog and it sparked well...whew, hope you aimed it in a neutral direction! Is the touch hole clear? Does it have a removable breechblock? The good folks on these pre-flintlock threads are the creme de la creme and a great resource of info for you!

Congradulations! Wheelocks of any vintage/source are beautiful in my eyes! Please make sure barrel does not have an old load in it. You said you put pyrite in the dog and it sparked well...whew, hope you aimed it in a neutral direction! Is the touch hole clear? Does it have a removable breechblock? The good folks on these pre-flintlock threads are the creme de la creme and a great resource of info for you!
I checked the bore first thing. And yes a super knowledgable group of guys……something missing in a lot of other forums.

The overall still has me worried on this one.
Italian style lock not really fitting in well with the stock, plus the modern nosecap piece.
plus the finger rest is kind of wild and not the usual loops or bow.
I dunno.
Reserve the rights to say any more on it, but it has an interesting barrel!

The overall still has me worried on this one.
Italian style lock not really fitting in well with the stock, plus the modern nosecap piece.
plus the finger rest is kind of wild and not the usual loops or bow.
I dunno.
Reserve the rights to say any more on it, but it has an interesting barrel!
I am still waiting for the provenance from my friend. He said it is from Germany for sure according to his late grand father’s notes. I know nothing about them The lock fits nicely into the inletting, but why such a straight lock plate for such a curved wrist area?

A friend brought this by today and swapped me for a WWII piece. He has the provenance from his late grandfather who traveled Europe and purchased a lot of medieval pole arms, swords and early firearms. I had the lock off today and freed up all the parts. Fitted a piece of pyrite and it sparks good. Looks like a military piece to me, but it is rifled.

Interesting object.

Back