• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late Lancaster kit recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've made several posts here asking for advice on having a Late Lancaster built. I finally decided on a builder...me. I've been looking at the Late Lancaster kits from Pecatonica and TVM (Tenn Valley Muzzleloading). I would appreciate any comments about these two companies, as well as any suggestions for other kits.

CWC
Pecatonica River is an excellent company and the owner, Dick Greensides is a great guy.

His prices are among the lowest and his stocks among the best.

The thing to realize, when buying from any of the various sources is that these rifles will take from 120-180 hours of your time to build.
They are not the "fall together" kits that are sold by Traditions, Lyman or Thompson Center.

Of course they will make a truly unique gun that you will always be proud of when they are finished so if you like working with your hands, taking your time and you are willing to ask us any questions you may have, go for it! :)

Have experience with only 1 kit - Dunlap's - and I didn't complete the build.

Quality is great, wood is better than promised. See for your self....

Hainesfinishedphoto002.jpg

Swampy - I had looked at the chambers website. I know they have a good reputation, but I also saw that they are the most expensive. Do you recommend them because their parts are higher quality, or because they are easier to build?

Finnwolf - I checked out the Dunlap website also. Just to clarify, did the kit include the barrel? If the price on the website includes the barrel that will be the cheapest kit I've looked at. Why did you not finish it? Did it turn out to be more work than expected?

Dunlop has a good rep too. They all will allow you to build a decent gun. Some are cheaper parts sets because you have to do more. Chambers is more expensive but is probably the best parts set you can buy atm. Alot is done on his that you need to do on others. All really depends on how much work you are willing/want to do.

I have built both Chambers parts set & Dunlap parts sets. The castings on the Chambers set are the best castings I have seen to date from Anyone. They will be slightly be a tad cleaner castings than Dunlaps. I am Not cutting Dunlaps, but his castings will be the same as Tracks, Pecatonica, MBS, etc. Chambers has his castings cast for him.......
The Chambers parts sets will be more PC than Dunlaps, if that is a concern, as Jim is very PC oriented. The Chambers stock will be cut Very close to finished cut & closer than Dunlaps. That is a part I personally don't like as it leaves me no varibles, but is good for some. Dunlaps is considerably cheaper & a better wood grade for less money, IF you don't mind doing a little more work to the stock & some extra filing on the brass. Dunlaps is a wood dealer & he has thousands of blanks, he doesn't have to buy the blank & ship it & etc., he has it. He is one of the largest stock dealers in the USA. So he has allot less in the cost of the blank & can sell you it cheaper.

I have built both & had good success with parts sets from both. :thumbsup:

You may want to give Tip Curtis a call as well. His stocks will take a little more handywork but his parts sets are good & I have built quite a few of them as well. (615) 654-4445

But if wood grade for the $ is a real concern, you don't beat Wayne Dunlap. He is in on the ground floor there.

CWC, I am currently assembling a .54 caliber Leman from a TVM kit. It is my first build project. I am working under the kind hand of a very accomplished gunmaker and am using an original Leman rifle in his shop as a reference and model for the build. I have about 30 hours into it so far and I estimate it will take another 30 to 60 hrs to complete.

I have no complaints about the quality of the TVM kit. The inletting work is first rate and everything fit together just fine. However, the work that they have done already really puts a limit on any changes I might want to do to make the kit rifle match up more to the geometry of the original. There is also a LOT of wood on the TVM stock to be removed. If you are looking to do some carving then you will have plenty to work with. If not, get ready to make some sawdust. The cast triggerguard is pretty rough, too. I figure it will take me a few hours to file and sand it down to match up more with the original.

Good luck with your build. I would like to see some pictures when you get her finished.

Latest posts

Back