• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Late Lancaster arrived!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you who don’t know (yet), let me say that all the praise for TVM rifles is justified. My Late Lancaster arrived this afternoon and it is beyond my expectations. Gorgeous wood, nicely inlaid metal, triggers that make the ones on my other MLs (good guns all) feel stiff, and a lock that is smooth and sparks like crazy. For all my impatience, it was worth the wait.

By the way, thanks for the suggestion to get a wooden crate for shipping. The gun is carefully packed in sturdy cardboard but the wood offers much more protection. And I already have plans to use the wood for some non-firearm projects.

It’s a 50 caliber with a 42” B weight swamped barrel. For the first time I have a length of pull that fits properly. Between the barrel and LOP the rifle balances beautifully. It arrived too late to shoot today but I will be at the range tomorrow morning for the initial sighting-in.

I can't figure out how to post photos. I'll do so once I figure out the process.

Thanks to all for the good advice and encouragement during this year-long process. I’ve been shooting BP for 30 years but never handled a gun like this. As you can tell, I’m somewhat pleased. :grin:

Jeff

Here's my try at two photos.

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

Actually, my wife set up the photos, bless her! That link really helped. There's a reason I do my first drafts on a manual typewriter. This computer thing is just a passing fad. :haha:

Something else I noticed, the muzzle has a slight crown, a nice feature which I didn't expect. I take care of my firearms but I look forward to this one showing some honest use over time.

Jeff

That is a very pretty gun. Well worth the wait. Will bet big bucks it shoots every bit as good as it looks.

Congrats on your new rifle.
More pictures would be nice so the rest of us could help you enjoy your new pride & joy.

I wouldnt be to fast on cutting up the crate the rifle came in it might just come in handy.

BullRunBear said:
By the way, thanks for the suggestion to get a wooden crate for shipping. The gun is carefully packed in sturdy cardboard but the wood offers much more protection. And I already have plans to use the wood for some non-firearm projects.

Definitely worth paying for the crate considering the investment.
SUGGESTION:
Keep that shipping crate intact just as it is.
The day could very well come where you have to ship that rifle off for some reason...ie: a split might develop in the stock...you might damage the barrel and need it replaced, etc.
I put mine up in the attic for possible reuse in the future...you're call of course.

Rifle looks great, TVM is a great place to get muzzleloaders, stand behind their work, etc...you should enjoy it a lot...congratulations.
:thumbsup:

That is a magnificent rifle as are all TVMs I've seen. Good that you DID post those pics; failure to do so would have earned you a visit from a couple guys whose last names end with vowels.

Roundball et al,

Good thought about the crate. I was planning to build one but I think I'll just pad the shipping crate, hinge the top and add a catch. It's for car transport only so it doesn't have to be fancy.

Hanshi,

I'm glad to avoid the "visitation" by the vowel-enders. They sound like my (fortunately) ex-inlaws from Brooklyn. :wink:

Jeff

Sounds like you got a keeper. what traits/details of the Late lancaster do you prefer over the various traits and details of the Early lancaster?

TG,

I chose the Late Lancaster over the Early Lancaster and Early Virginia just because I preferred the slimmer lines and slightly lighter weight. I'm a big guy but have lost some upper body strength and stamina due to injuries and a couple bouts of pneumonia. (VERY annoying.) Even half a pound makes a difference over the course of several hours. Also, I don't hunt anymore so I didn't need the wider butt that works for heavy hunting loads.

I was tempted by the Early Lancaster and Virginia models since they are closer to the look during the French and Indian War, which is an interest since I had ancestors fighting on both sides. But practicallity won out.

Jeff

Sounds like a good name. It is a nice gift your wife bought you.

I had an Early Virginia delivered by TVM in Feb. .54cal Rice Swamped barrel, Chambers Golden Age lock, Davis large set triggers, brass front sight steel rear. Out of the box shoots real well. I named her Liberty.....
:thumbsup:
Good luck to you Jeff!

Charlie

Back