• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Large wheellock lock, believed to be Dutch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just won this on a recent auction, where the ad had stated:

"An early mechanism for a large wheellock long arm measuring approximately 9-1/2" x 5". The lock plate itself has an oval stamp that reads "S (dolphin) I". The feather spring has hand chased decoration. All internal parts appear complete and operable."

Well it is complete and 100% functional! It is believed to be Dutch, per input from Brian Anderson. Some items of interest:

• Maker's mark, see above ...
  • The length to the bottom edge of the lockplate makes it 8" overall for the plate
  • Massive main spring, measuring 3/4" wide
  • 2" diameter wheel, but note only 1 'cross-groove' across the wheel, where it is these grooves that cut the pyrite to create the spark
  • Appears well made and well stored, as not only does it function, but all parts move ... cannot detect any wear (it has been suggested it may be a 'shop sample' of their work or that of a W-L)
  • Every bolt can be removed, where those I did remove still had great thread form and were hand cut by a die (I presume)

DutchW-L01.jpg
DutchW-L02.jpg
DutchW-L03.jpg
DutchW-L04.jpg
DutchW-L05.jpg
DutchW-L06.jpg
DutchW-L07.jpg
DutchW-L08.jpg
DutchW-L09.jpg

Such a large lock, and with little adornment inside or out- makes me wonder if it’s possibly also designed for a musket. Amazing piece.
I should have added that! I was thinking it may be for a wheellock wall gun, but Brian Anderson suggests for early Dutch muskets, yes.

Got it at an even better amazing price to boot!

Hi Flint

Congratulations !!! That is a very large and cool wheellock. Yes, could have been made for an early wall size Dutch gun. But the one-only cross groove (would be interesting to hear what Bolek thinks about that) and it's extra-ordinary size and light usage leads me to think this lock may have been made for demonstration purposes or shop training. In any case, it's certainly a great piece for a lock collection. Especially since it's all complete and functional.

Rick

Back