• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lapping or smoothing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use some compound like lapping or? To lube the patches and shoot tge gun to lapping or smooth out the barrel?
If so does accuracy improve.

I've fire lapped barrels with lubed bullets in unmentionables but haven't tried it in a muzzleloader. I think it's probably better done as a separate operation than trying to fire lap it with patches. Whether to use JB or something more aggressive depends on the condition of the bore. The best way to lap a barrel is to pull the breech plug and cast a lead lap on a lapping rod.

Be careful what you use the Clover carbide compound is ment for hardened steel. Gun barrels are soft the carbide will imbed its self into the steel. Use a compound for gun barrels.

1D24F40E-4132-441E-A7DE-C61428CF5F1D.jpeg

JB bore cleaning compound & a nylon bristle bush wrapped with 0000 steel wool on my smoothbore.
AA7FF5F6-AB58-4EAE-92C1-14D554C2833C.jpeg

I used a patched jag with compound on my rifle which worked well too.

I used the scotch brite polishing method on my .32 and was thinking of doing the same to my new musket.
But the JB bore compound has my interest peaked. It's gotta be messier though. And harder to clean up I would think.

Sounds like it works much quicker than scotch brite.
I was envisioning having to reapply it several times. All the while it's loading up the patent breech when the rod bottoms out.

Be careful what you use the Clover carbide compound is ment for hardened steel. Gun barrels are soft the carbide will imbed its self into the steel. Use a compound for gun barrels.

Yes, for sure!! I fire lap with specific fie lapping compounds either from Wheeler or from LBT. I've been told it ruins barrels by people who have fire lapped with valve grinding compounds. I've no doubt they wrecked their barrels.

I fire lapped a barrel by lubbing patches with the compound and it worked but I prefer using bullets.

I have used just about everything on the market but I found that most products are made to sell. I use car compound. The gray is slightly coarser than the white so finding a compound that will work for you is easy and at your local ""Auto Zone, Napa,or Car Quest"" or the like. It is water based making it easy to rinse away after you use it. Don't waste your money on all the expensives product at your sporting goods store. You can get a quart of it for less than the little bit you get from te Sports goods stores.

I've done it on center-fire rifles. Also polished the barrels on my turkey shotguns with Flitz. Or you can just shoot it a lot and that will polish it.

I do it when necessary. It’s only necessary if the bore is rough or all attempts to resolving cut patches have failed. There’s no reason to expect an improvement in accuracy if the ball loads smoothly and patches are intact, in my view.

Back