• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lapping the Barrel with JB bore Paste

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think using 110 grs with a ball that only weight about 230 grs. is way too much powder, cut back to 85 grs.
A large amount of black powder stays in the barrel as fouling, so load less and make less fouling.

I don't think there is enough lube present after the first shot to keep the amount residual fouling your load creates and leaves behind is soft enough to be pushed on down the second loading.

I use a mink oil lubed 58 caliber wad between patch and powder.
The larger 58 cal wad fits tighter holds more lube and I sure it friction bonds to the bottom of the patch for grip and assists in taking the rifling to insure rotation of the ball.

In my GPR 54 I use a .535" ball and pillow ticking lubed felt wad 85 grs of 2fg.
When I was selecting ball size I tried both .530" and .535".
Only the larger ball created weave marks embossed all the way around the ball in heavy and light embossed patch weave marks.
Even a .535" ball is smaller than the distance across the lands so something else need to help the ball take the rifling to get the spin happening.
I agree with Greenjoy and suggest less powder...also a good tight fit on patch+ball will help "clean" as ball is seated. Your mink oil is good stuff, but may want to try something lighter (thinner) like a balistol/H20 blend. I shoot a .54 cal. 530 ball with .017-.019 pillow ticking patch....and can shoot continuously with up to 90 grains FFF.....getting 3" groups at 100yds....I see no need for more the 80-90 grains unless you actually get better accuracy (I don't).

After polishing with the Scotchbrite and using 600X Alundum mixed with Wonderlube for bore polishing, I experimented with the 3-1 mix of water to Dawn lube with a patched ball measuring .532" and a .010 patch in my CVA .54 Hawken. It is tight going in and down but a ball starter is enough (I'm 6'1" and 200 lbs) because I can get my elbow high enough to get it to go down about 8" and the ram rod works stiff and smooth from there. I had always used Wonderlube 1000 before and was amazed that, as others have said here, I didn't have to wipe the bore again while shooting and the accuracy was the best yet: 5 shots average 1-1/2 inches at 50 yds with 80 grs. of Triple Seven. Much better than the Wonderlube and no swabbing. This old dog has learned a new trick! I'm going to try a .530 ball to see if it loads a little easier; I don't think I could trust a .005 patch!

Back