• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lantaka real vs fake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafunky1

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I recently purchased this and it appears real but I have some concerns with the bore. It looks to me like there is a layer of bronze that wraps inside the bore and the inside past that "might" not be made of bronze. It shows up pretty well in the pics. It doesnt look like it could have been fired like this because the muzzle looks to be smaller than the bore as a result. Ive noticed in other lantaka pics that its pretty common for the muzzle to be gnarly looking like this one is though but Ive never seen the inside of another one. The touch hole is round but not drilled with a drill round. It also angles slightly forward but is not clear all the way through. The muzzle measures to go 1/8" past the touch hole. It measures 47.5" and weighs 70 lbs. There is also what appears to be a piece of rusted steel inside the cascabel. Maybe for attaching the tiller or maybe the end of a steel pipe used to fake the bore? The trunnions appear that they were added separately. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Could anyone with any lantaka experience give me their thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

DSC05874_zpsbd944f1e.jpg

DSC05869_zps6b7f6c41.jpg

DSC05859_zps14c97046.jpg

DSC05860_zpsaab0eb62.jpg

DSC05864_zps32e3bd93.jpg

DSC05865_zps0a393a61.jpg

DSC05858_zps994c6fb8.jpg

DSC03290_zps3db1e698.jpg

DSC03289_zps99eae536.jpg

DSC03270_zpsf38f7ead.jpg

DSC03274_zps2891c495.jpg

DSC05855_zps9506d9f8.jpg

DSC05857_zpsebaf5d35.jpg

DSC05856_zpsdf2cec1a.jpg

Nice! Where is Lantaka from? Looks like what I have seen called a Moluccan gun,probably the first guns to come to northern coast of Australia.

The bore wouldn't faze me - obviously you had seen it before you bought it too. I suspect it may have been poured around an iron tube in the foundry to save boring costs. That could also tend to give the ideal bore-outwards crystallization of the molten bronze, too, depending how they set it up.

The Dutch arrived at the Spice Islands and asked what the locals wanted to trade for. The answer was antique bronze swivel guns and the Lantaka was born, along with the Dutch East Indies.

My Lantaka bore looks a lot like yours, I think it is just scale, suggest you fire it.
http://www.robinhewitt.net/boom.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:
Back