• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

looking for info on A.W. Spies .40 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Researched some on Spies and I think he was just the importer/supplier of the lock. Not sure if it was made by his company.

I would like some info as to age, style of rifle, possible maker etc. Would it be called a half stock, or Ohio gun or plains?

I just got this rifle at a local auction so I don't know any history on it. Hopefully with the pictures and info below some of you can educate about the rifle.

It has a very heavy duty repair to crack on the left side of the wrist which I read was very common with back action locks.

It weighs in at a hefty 10.6 lbs
The bore measures .402 and looks to have 6 grooves, The barrel is 1.07 across the flats.
Muzzle to breech plug is 30 3/4" and overall length is 47.5"

The lock is stamped AW SPIES and the only mark I can see on the barrel is 2 stars stamped a couple inches on either side of the rear sight.

I think the stock is walnut. It has a covered grease hole on one side and a brass inlay on the other side that I cant make out anything inscribed on it.

Lots of pics below and welcome your thoughts.

thanks
IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg
1682464928513.jpeg
1682464947104.jpeg
1682464977430.jpeg

1682464995221.jpeg

1682465013952.jpeg

1682465027525.jpeg

Attachments

• 1682465041751.jpeg
    1682465041751.jpeg
    595.6 KB · Views: 0
I have/shoot a 12 bore single barrel with a "Spies" lock. Barrel is stamped "Adams" (hard to make out) and "Utica". Front action lock, British proofed barrel. Nothing fancy. Hoping someone has info on "Spies". ??

In Gunsmiths of the USA there is an A W Spies listed as a gunsmith in New York, New York 1820 to 1851 maker of Pepper box pistols and target rifles with his name engraved on the lock.

Despite the "unique" repair, you've got a nice half stock hunting rifle .... but a bit heavy. I've got many back action percussion guns in my collection and they are indeed somewhat prone to breaking at the wrist. Have you taken out the barrel to check on the damage near the breech? Adam W Spies was a NYC importer, born about 1783 and died about 1863, with his hardware store and import business continuing to about 1877. Apparently the store also did gun repair work

Researched some on Spies and I think he was just the importer/supplier of the lock. Not sure if it was made by his company.

I would like some info as to age, style of rifle, possible maker etc. Would it be called a half stock, or Ohio gun or plains?

I just got this rifle at a local auction so I don't know any history on it. Hopefully with the pictures and info below some of you can educate about the rifle.

It has a very heavy duty repair to crack on the left side of the wrist which I read was very common with back action locks.

It weighs in at a hefty 10.6 lbs
The bore measures .402 and looks to have 6 grooves, The barrel is 1.07 across the flats.
Muzzle to breech plug is 30 3/4" and overall length is 47.5"

The lock is stamped AW SPIES and the only mark I can see on the barrel is 2 stars stamped a couple inches on either side of the rear sight.

I think the stock is walnut. It has a covered grease hole on one side and a brass inlay on the other side that I cant make out anything inscribed on it.

Lots of pics below and welcome your thoughts.

thanks
View attachment 217494

View attachment 217495

View attachment 217497View attachment 217499View attachment 217501View attachment 217502

View attachment 217503

View attachment 217505

View attachment 217507
Never saw a wrist repair quite like that! Imagine trying to "time" all those screws!:)

In Gunsmiths of the USA there is an A W Spies listed as a gunsmith in New York, New York 1820 to 1851 maker of Pepper box pistols and target rifles with his name engraved on the lock.
That would explain the word Utica being stamped on John's 12 bore I guess. As far as style goes, I have no experience with Ohio style rifles, other than the ones I've seen on GunBroker, but that's what it looks like to me. Nice old piece.

Despite the "unique" repair, you've got a nice half stock hunting rifle .... but a bit heavy. I've got many back action percussion guns in my collection and they are indeed somewhat prone to breaking at the wrist. Have you taken out the barrel to check on the damage near the breech? Adam W Spies was a NYC importer, born about 1783 and died about 1863, with his hardware store and import business continuing to about 1877. Apparently the store also did gun repair work

No I haven't disassembled any part of the rifle yet. I will do that soon and report back if I find anymore markings or damage.

Thanks to all for all the info so far provided.

Correct me if wrong, It's style would be called a Ohio gun and is 1840's vintage?

Thanks

No I haven't disassembled any part of the rifle yet. I will do that soon and report back if I find anymore markings or damage.

Thanks to all for all the info so far provided.

Correct me if wrong, It's style would be called a Ohio gun and is 1840's vintage?

Thanks
it is definitely a style made in 1840's and 1850's but where ever rifles were being made during that time period you see this style of rifle. unless you have a name or some unique feature used by a gunsmith from an area it is hard to say where it came from. It is kind of like a Kentucky rifle. Somehow rifles made in Lancaster were called Kentucky rifles but other distinct styles like Berks or Lehigh are called Pennsylvania rifles. In reality rifles that were actuality made in Kentucky have some unique features that you don't see on anything that was made in Pennsylvania.

Back