• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lamp Black

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Ivory

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Whilst waiting for my jar of Prussian Blue transfer color to arrive, I decided to try a little lamp black.

I raided my wife's collection of Yankee candle jars and yep, under the glass lids was quite a bit of soot or lamp black.
It works like a charm!!!!

-Doc

I have had British Service rifles of a much later period regulated by the best and most showed the use of lamp black in fitting metal to wood.

Too dangerous IMO. One slip with a kerosene lamp and up goes your house or workshop. Inletting black is much safer to use.

I was working for an uncle in his trucking business and got talking to a service agent who was working on the reefer unit on my truck. He was scraping soot out of the diesel exhaust pipe. Said he used it for inletting modern rifle actions.

My first couple builds i used a candle with a drop of oil🛢 added at the base of the wick. That works pretty good but it trys my patience. Now I use a commercial concoction that is brushed on. I don't remember what it's called 🤔 It's much easier and faster. Messy but it cleans up easily.

I scraped a bunch of my wife's candle jar tops, the undersides had quite a bit of lamp black.
Added just a "touch" of olive oil and I was in business!

Kerosene lamps were a part of every household once. They are not as dangerous as storing black powder or traveling with 20 gallons of high octane fuel under the car at 80 miles an hour on the interstate. Too dangerous? Nonsense! Electricity is dangerous, surgery is dangerous, guns are dangerous. Etc Etc.

I have a friend that uses his wife's old half used lipstick containers to use foe inletting with.

Latest posts

Back