• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

LaMat alternate shot loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyefly2

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a LeMat Army Pistol. My Question is what next 2 smaller sizes shot that would stack flat, the same as the shot that in the LeMat Mould? (M00502 LeMat Mould)

For me 3 shot from LeMat Mould will roll down the center bore and fit flat against the powder wad. So when I make 9 conical bullets I get 18 shot. That gives me 6 stacks of 3 shots. I put fff powder under the 9 conical bullets so the lead slightly flush with the cylinder. I use Old Fashioned Powder Measures originally called “finger chargers” these small brass tubes have a lanyard loop in the butt end. I have trimmed one for my LeMat and 50cal rifle. I use a double load under the thick wad, 18 shots and a thin wad.

I would be glad to know any other source of information on my problem. Thank you.

Have you tried using a solid shot for the center bore? It's 65 caliber & a .649" 411 grn ball or heavy patched .595 317 grn rd ball over 25 grns of 3f makes a pretty impressive sight, not to mention the report.. Dixie Gun Works catalog has a listing of shot diameters in the back. That might help you find alternatives for the big bore.
I have used smaller shot before but not the #3s you use, but then I never bought the mold. I have been using .452 Lead wadcutters in the revolver as well as Rd ball. I just started casting Lee REAL bullets for my rifles so might consider the Lemat mold in the near future.
One other thing you might consider is using ALOX on your lead. I put my cast bullets in a .5 liter bottle, add a LITTLE squirt of ALOX & roll around till coated. Let them dry overnight on a paperplate. It really stops the lead fouling I used to get..Not needed on patched balls but makes a big difference when the lead touches the bore! even using harder alloys.. DOC

hello,

Lee offers a 0.600cal ball mould: would it fit in the barrel of Lemat (0.630cal)and what should be the patch : kind of thick denim trouser ?

thanks

Remember that the difference between ball diameter, and bore diameter( .600 vs. .630") is only .030", and that has to be divided by 2 because patching is going to be on BOTH sides of the ball. So, a patch of .015 compressed will seal that ball very well in the gun.

Always measure the compressed thickness of your fabric, and then also make sure you use calipers to measure the actual diameter of both the balls, and the bore of the gun you are shooting.

Unlike a rifled barrel, a smoothbore has no " give " in it, because there is no place for the fabric to go. In rifles, the fabric can squeeze off the lands and down into the grooves to give you a very tight fit, but at least allow the ball and patch to pass down the bore. :thumbsup:

Sound like there is considerable variation in the LeMat shot barrel bore diameter. My LeMat is .640 on the shot bore. A .600 or .610 ball should work fine with the correct patch.

I was told they are 20 gauge,( the center barrel) but you always have to measure these bores to find out exactly what you have. Then find a ball diameter that is .020" smaller than the bore diameter, and then use an appropriate thickness of patching, to center the ball in the smoothbore, and seal the gases behind the ball as its fired out the barrel.

Latest posts

Back