• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

la Belle Trade Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameling

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, y'all. Since we're sharing new knives that we've made, here's some I made up last week. They are based on originals found in crates of trade goods on LaSalle's ship la Belle that sank in 1685 in Matamagordo Bay on the West Texas coast. The original trade knives were quickly and cheaply made for trade to the natives - just a blade, a pivot pin, and a folded U shaped handle. The gentleman that saw the conservation work on the originals "critiqued" these for me. His main comment was that I made them TOO NICE. And here I thought I was making them too crude.

The three across the bottom are the closest to the originals. 7 1/4 overall, 4 inch handle and 3 1/4 inch blade, that are about 7/8 inch wide. The handle is made from 14 guage sheet iron - about 3/32 inch thick. The handle material on the originals was thinner - more like tin. But the 14 guage gives them a nice feel in the hand, and really makes a strong knife.

laBelleKnives1.jpg

laBelleKnives2.jpg

laBelleKnife2.jpg

Oh, the strange and wonderous paths we follow in this Historical Journey we are on.

yhs
Mike Ameling

I like them!! I will have to try one. Might be nice in brass also. Thanks for shareing Mike.
Wick Ellerbe

Thanks for the comments, Wick. They've kind of grown on me. I like them more every day. And I like making them more than the classic Penny Knives. Sawing the slot in the wood handle, and getting that pivot pin hole drilled in the right place are troublesome. I also like the appeal of these quick, simple, user type knives. Most people making these bottom level kinves end up making them in the proper shapes/sizes, but do them up to Knife Maker quality - with the that level of fit, finish, and price. So goes the current market.

Here's a pic of the ones I made today - including those made with that bulged/rounded nosed blade. It's a classic French Clasp Knife blade shape, going back into the Middle Ages. But it was falling out of favor in the late 1600's and early 1700's.

laBelleKnives3.jpg

Mikey - tinkering away out here in the Hinterlands

Nice work Mike. Making friction folders is something I should do more of. As of date I have made one. Thanks for posting them.

Joe

Very cool looking knives. I saw the inital discussion on them over on Nita's board and must say it caught my interest. I really like the bulged nose ones, nice looking stuff.

Mike,
I like them! Not being an expert on knives
by any stretch, I did'nt realize folding knives
were that common. But that is why I show up on this forum....I always learn something. Thanks
for the post.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

I read somewhere that friction folders were common with Roman soldiers, wood and cow horn grips. Don't have the acual source of the info however.

I really like the new ones on top. Really nice and look right. Great looking knives. Thanks again for sharing. I know what you mean about finishing, I am guilty of over doing it in many cases.

Thanks for all the kind words. They are appreciated.

It's amazing the shapes and styles of knife blades that go all the way back to early Roman times. Daggers, belt knives, those classic "scalper" trade knives, and all sorts of folding clasp knives. I saw a picture of a Roman clasp knife blade that almost looked just like one of the Spyderco knife blades - a pretty "modern" design and look.

There is a great web site for early French trade goods.

Trade Goods of New France

It covers belt knives, clasp knives, trade guns, fire steels, trade axes, kettles, and more. And it had great pictures and descriptions of original artifacts - with dimensions, touch marks, and where things were made, traded, and found. It's a Great reference site.

Thanks
Mike

Hi, Riley.

I have to work the "weekend shift" up in Lansing IA at Big River Forge, so I will be blacksmithing, just at the shop instead of in a crowd. I won't be set up at the Prairie du Chien rendezvous, but I will visit Friday, and possibly Saturday afternoon/evening after work. I will have some of the fire steels and trade knives along - just incase I get into some serious Trading deals for new toys. Hopefully I can find some new books. And, of course, I have to swing by and "bug" the Longrifles gang, Shimek, J P Miller, Jim Kimpell, and too many other people to remember at the moment.

Mike

I will be flatlander-ing it on Sat. It would be great to meet up. I might wear my hat that says "Riley" on it. Do you know Kieth aka "The Leather Guy"? He knows me. I hope to meet a guy I met over on the TMA board at Kieth's place at 10 on Sat.

Let me know what else might work.

~Riley

I will be firing up the blacksmith forge in Lansing at 10 Saturday morning. Yes, I know "the Leather Guy". I've bought a bunch from him over the years. Most I used to trim out and finish the 1870's carpetbags I make when it's too cold to go out and work in the forge. Altho, I've spent many hours at 10 to 20 below out there dressed in insulated coverals, wool cap, mitts, and pack boots. My "shop" is a tin roof with plastic tarps covering most of the sides. During the summer the breeze is welcome, during the winter it keeps your toes tingling. But it's my place to play at home. The shop in Lansing is much better.

Have fun at the trade-voo!

Mike

Back