• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kodiak double rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just acquired a used Kodiak double .54 cal rifle. It is in excellent condition, but has a rather puzzling problem: the nipples are too small for either No. 10 or No. 11 caps. The caps are loose, and will fall off unless I squeeze them into a oval shape before capping, which is a real pain.

Is this typical of Perdersoli percussion rifles? Is there any remedy other than replacing the nipples?

Any information or advice will be appreciated.

I don't think there is a solution other than replacing the nipples. That's a cheap and easy way to make things right. You might try grinding some off the top of the nipples so that the caps sit farther down where the nipple is larger. Personally, I think I'd just change them out.

To keep all of the posts together, I've added SJoe's other post to this one.

SJoe: I forgot to ask in my first post on this subject:
Can anyone tell me what thread size the Kodiak nipple have?

Thanks.

I've got a Kodiak double in 58. After using musket caps for a while I switched back to regular #11 caps and the original nipples. The caps fit like they are supposed to. As recommended, just get new nipples, they are 1/4-28 thread.

Dale

Whoa, hold up there! Offhand I don't know for certain but I am "pretty sure" Pedersolis are all metric thread, either 6x1mm or 6x.75mm. If I found 1/4x28 nipples in an Italian gun I would be very suspicious that someone had retapped it and that is a dangerous move since there is not enough size difference to cut clean new threads. :nono:

:hmm: Well, I can check with a thread gauge to determine whether or not it is 1/4 x 28. If it is not, however, I do not have a metric gauge, so I will still not know whether it is 6mm x 1 or
6mm x .75.

I guess I could buy both. Any better suggestions?

i would buy new ones instead of screwing with the ones but thats just my :2 :thumbsup:

I have the double fifty with the semi pistol grip stock and I've noticed the primers will fly off the left nipple when shooting offhand from recoil. My fix is like yours--squeeze them gently so they fit more tightly.

Let me know if you want the fifty instead of the fifty-four and we'll work a trade :grin:

Well I have determined that 1/4 x 28 is correct. Thank all of you for your input.

Cosmoline:

That is in interesting suggestion. I would actually have preferred a .50, since my three other front-stuffers are all .50. I bought the .54 Kodiak because it was available at a very good price.

I might be interested in trading in a few weeks; I want to shoot this one enough to determine whether I establish an unbreakable bond with it :grin:

This is a conversation that we should continue off-forum. If you really want to pursue it, send me an email at [email protected]

Back