• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Knapping flints back into shape

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmrn1973

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello, newbie flintlock shooter here, so this might be a dumb question, how do i knap or condition my flints to get more life out of them? Thanks.

There are a few methods. One quick method may be accomplished with the flint still in the jaws. With the rifle unloaded, Move the frizzen forward and then lower the cock all the way. While holding the trigger back, slowly raise the cock and lower the frizzen till the heel of the frizzen is resting on the upper edge of the flint. Now exert downward pressure on the frizzen while pulling back/up the cock and you will knap some of the edge in the process.

How dull is the edge of the flint? If it is still in the jaws of the lock you may tap the edge of the flint and strike off small flakes with a brass flint napping hammer. If you have several that need more flint stone removed you can put them in a vice that has one or two layers of duct tape between the vice jaws. When the flint is griped well take a old screw driver and file a L shaped notch from the end of the blade back about 1/8th inch. Lay the filed edge on the part of the flint you want to knap strike the handle of the screw driver with a small hammer and break of a small flake. You will learn the angle to hold the screw driver when you see the amount of the flake that breaks off. I usually hold a little less than 90 degrees. Doing this 3 to 4 times across the edge of the flint will sharpen it nicely. Have fun experimenting and learning.

Hello, newbie flintlock shooter here, so this might be a dumb question, how do i knap or condition my flints to get more life out of them? Thanks.
Welocme to Flintlock shooting!
All my knapping is done with flint in the cock. When the gun is unloaded place cock into half cock position. Never trust a loaded flintlock with sparks even if the prime is not there. I use a brass headed mini hammer with a screw driver blade on one end. The brass head is rounded and I use it for more aggressive knapping. If I just want to lightly sharpen, then I use the screwdriver blade edge right by the tip (where it is the thinest) and strike little blows about 1/8" apart, creating notches & giving a saw tooth effect.
You didn't ask.......but, remember to keep the flint and frizzen clean of fowling and the flint tight in the jaws. Dirt and a loose flint will inhibit good sparks.
Flintlocklar:D

I also knapp in the lock. I pull the cock all way back and hold it "out of battery" with my thumb. Never should the flint be knapped with the cock resting in half or full cock; doing this can result in serious damage to the lock. I tap the flint edge with a little copper hammer.

Back