• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint material identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as I go through everything I inherited I found a bag of flint material. I have yet to watch any videos or do any reading on knapping and have no intention of starting yet seeings I still have to build my rifle. But was wondering what type of material this is. Any help is appreciated.

IMG_5598.jpeg

So as I go through everything I inherited I found a bag of flint material. I have yet to watch any videos or do any reading on knapping and have no intention of starting yet seeings I still have to build my rifle. But was wondering what type of material this is. Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 280334
What size are those?
3-4 inches long?

Thanks..
It’s hard too tell from the pics but some seem too show stress cracks..

So even if you can’t make a gun flint from it , it should work for fire kit as mentioned above..👍

looks like Georgetown. each piece is called a spall or blade. there are some good youtube videos on making them into flints. once you start its like eating Lays potato chips. can't do just one. then you will be knapping points, then blades, then...........
that reminds me, been going to knap a patch knife just for giggles.

Two of the spalls are from a good Georgetown nodule, the rest look like central Texas chert (Edwards, could be from anywhere). Georgetown has the striations like onion layers and is true flint due to being formed in the big chalk deposit there. The others are chert and have some concrete speckles in them, all of them look good to very good for knapping projectile points and could possibly get some nice gunflints out of them if you're careful.

As far as I know there are five flintknapping videos on utoob, two by that English bloke whose name I can't remember but used to be one of the primary exporters (not Tom Fuller), one by a point knapper, and two by me.

Identifying flint/chert as coming from any certain location is an exercise in futility. Don't fret it. As said, it might be good for fire starting.
Usually, yes. However, two of those pieces are unmistakably Georgetown flint. The fragments of limestone cortex and the gravel inclusions in most of the other pieces indicate chert, most likely from somewhere else in the Edwards Plateau region judging by the overall appearance. The black piece could be from anywhere.

Just because YOU don't know doesn't mean someone else doesn't.

Back