• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit gun recommendation help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Im looking at building a gun that i can call my own this summer for the fall hunting season! Id like to build a gun thats not flashy, but one thats made for tightening the belt if you know what i mean! Im thinking 54cal for sure, either a half/full stock hawken, jaeger rifle, etc! Id like to see some of your guns built via a kit that would fit my bill! Im been looking at Don Stith, Sitting Fox, TOTW, and a couple others i cant remember! Id rather build a gun than just buy the Pedersoli Maple Rocky Mountain Hawken i shouldered the other day, which a friend already owns and i dont wanna be a copycat :idunno: Post away guys and lets spend my $$$

All of the gun "kits" sold by the sources you mentioned will require at least 140 hours of your time to build correctly.

These are not drop together guns.
They require using a chisel, drills, taps (to cut the threads) gobs of sandpaper, files, rasps, and the ability to use all of these tools correctly.

Once you finish building one of these you will never again question why the builder wants about $1,000+ for one of them.

The ones I've built took at least 160 hours of my time.
Penn-Rifle-030037.jpg

Look at the kits from TVM. Those come with some of the tricky stuff already done.

Call Tip Curtis: Tip Curtis Frontier Shop 4445 Jernigan Rd cross Plains, TN. 37049 615-654-4445

A couple of them are pictured in the current issue of Muzzleloader magazine. If your interest is in or after the 1830s, the TVM Leman will fit right in. You will probably not hear any complaints about it.

Thanks for the thought. :)

By the way, all of those except for the top two rifles are made from the Pecatonica River #3 Curly Maple.

The top two are made with PR #2 Curly Maple.

Back