• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli trade gun kit questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajfran3

32 Cal
Reaction score
Im new to flintlock guns and blackpowder shooting and wanted to build one for my first one if possible. I wanted to know how hard a pedersoli trade gun kit is. Does it already come with the major stuff drilled and done. I have limited tools just a dremel a drill and stuff to sand. I can get chisels and files but I can't drill the holes for the barrel pins. Would this kit be possible for me to do without to much difficulty?

Lots of curveballs pop up when building kits. Even good kits. You'll need to know how to address them. If this gives you pause, buy a completed rifle. Better to buy already built then to destroy a kit.

If you have limited tools, it probably means you have limited knowledge of how to use tools.

Get the kit. Then be prepared to buy some basic tools as needed. Practice with those tools on something that isn't your kit.

You said you have a drill. I assume that means portable battery powered/cord drill. You can drill tenon pin holes with a hand drill if you're careful.

Last edited:
I'm starting my second Pedersoli Trade Gun build. The kit does come fully assembled, no need to drill the barrel pins. Patience is your most important tool. You don't need the Dremel. I cannot stress enough to do your homework and study original Indian Trade guns before starting. There are many excellent photos available on line. Trade guns didn't have a cut and dried rule of thumb as far as appearance, though they are similar. The beauty of the Pedersoli Trade Gun kit is that it is a great blank palette to built an authentic looking trade gun. The kit, as it comes, isn't "quite right" appearance-wise. No problem. The fun is in the personalization process of building "your own" trade gun. Check out some of my previous posts on my first Trade Gun build. You'll need some good files, four-in-hand rasp, a needle file set, quality sandpaper in various grits, gunsmith screwdrivers, some sharp wood chisels, rawhide mallet.

Last edited:
The Pedersoli Trade Gun Kit as thomasgunn pointed out comes pre assembled. The only thing left to do is any adjustments to dimensions or appearance if any in order to suit you, and apply finish to wood and metal. As kits go it could not be easier. Below is the one I completed from a kit. It is a delight to shoot. It has become my preferred hunting longarm.
P5210047.jpeg

I owned a Ped trade gun and sold it to fund a custom 12G which I still haven't fired.

They're great guns, I would just say make sure it's where you want to start. A rifled barrel might be a better starting point if you like accuracy. If you're happy with the handicap then by all means, smoothies are great!

Thank you all for your input and tips I think I'll give the kit a try. Ive got some chisels and files on the way and the dremel will stay in the closet. If its just sanding it down to make it look nice and finishing the wood and metal then ill be able to do that. I'll let yall know how it turns out thank you

Back