• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kindig's Thoughts on the kentucky rifle in its Golden Age

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgunn286

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was looking at a couple of my Muzzle loading books with my sons tonight and had to bring out my copy of Kindig's "Thoughts on the Kentucky rifle in it's golden age". I received it from my mother years ago as a gift and never really thought much about it except for the great history and photos of the guns included in it. In any case while we looked it over, I saw that it is signed by the author and 6 other individuals involved in the printing of it and that it is the first edition numbered 106 of 200. Of course my curiosity was peeked and I did a quick search and found a copy on Abe Books which if I remember correctly was 109 of the same series going for the asking price of 650.00 dollars.I was quite amazed at the price and wondered if any one else also had a numbered copy. I figured that since our addiction is not really widespread, it might be possible that another member might also have a signed/numbered copy as well. Just curious...... :wink:

Well, you had to ask....I ran over to my copy but is just an ordinary, 4th printing. Our house suffered extensive water damage last summer when the flex supply line to the upstairs toilet failed, we came home (after a 5 day rendezvous) to water all over everything, ceilings down, etc. Anyway, I lost about 30 old gun books, Kindigs' among them. I couldn't bring myself to toss it so carefully dried it out. it is now over 3" thick, doesn't look so nice, but the contents are still usable.

Sorry to hear about the water damage. I know it probably ruined a lot more than your muzzle loading books. I noticed when looking up the value of my book that a plain 3rd or 4th printing is going for about 75 bucks, which probably doesn't make you feel any better.

Thanks for the support; yeah furniture, all the hardwood floors, tile, carpets, lots of guns, parts and tools in the basement, etc.. So far about $85,000 and we are not done with claiming stuff. Thankfully, MOST of the books were in cabinets and shelves and were not hurt. BIG, EXPENSIVE,OUT-OF-PRINT books that were on the library table, coffee table were absolutely soaked. Made me sick to see the damage.

Sorry to hear that. Water damage is no fun. At least your copy of Kindig is still usable, even if not so pretty. That is one of my favorite books, and no, I don't have a signed first edition. Mine's a recent edition, and I still paid a lot for it from Dixon's - and it's been worth every penny, just in the dreams it's inspired. If I had a signed first edition, I'd be torn between treasuring it and selling it to buy a new copy and something towards a rifle that looks like one from the book. I try to collect the contents of books, not the rare book itself, unless it's unavailable in another edition or has sentimental value otherwise.

Back