• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kinda weird elk hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@longcruise
No. Regeneration doesn't work worth a damn, so the ebike industry has abandoned that concept. You can extend your battery life by using the minimal assist and pedaling harder, which is what I do.. Fully loaded and in steep country I typically get 20 miles out of a battery. I will carry the extra with me if I am going further or pulling the trailer.

They are quite capable and I highly recommend them for old broken down farts like me!

I'm 65 and have always back packed in for Elk. This past year I hiked in with 3 other young bucks 32 - 40 yrs. old. Late season Colorado had about 18" snow at elevation tent camped for 3 days hiking out even with plastic sleds kicked my a_ _. I purchased a E bike and have put almost 250 miles on it. Really looking forward to this season. And I have a lot less knee pain. My set up is very similar with gun mounted forwards under the seat and out the back. Climber tree stand fits on rear rack as well. Small pack on front rack. Larger pack goes on top of tree stand as well or just on the rack. After trying my bike 42-year-old son purchased one and has been hunting feral hogs in Geogia with his. He is pretty beat up from 22 years in the USAF... We also have the cart. But haven't used it yet.

ATV use has been a plague during our seasons. It's ironic because most of the places that are legal for ATVs are also accessible by a conventional vehicle or even the family sedan.
Except for trails designated as open to ATVs they are not allowed but seem to show up anyway.

I will say that things have been improving due to the majority of hunters reporting them. Still, reporting can be difficult with poor cell service. On top of that, enforcement is spread very thin.
That may very well be true. However, again its not the ATV's fault. Its the person riding them. To blame the ATV is liken to blaming a gun for murdering someone.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that a 4-wheeler is a very useful machine for hunting. Without one I would not been able to hunt some of the places I did and still do. That includes out west in the big mountains. I did not nor do not ride my 4-wheelers all the wat to my hunting locations. However, I legally ride them close enough to where I can walk into the general area. Also, even right here on my own property, I have used my 4-wheelers to drag countless numbers of deer up the very steep hill to my garage.

I do not have the good health to be dragging out big game like I once did.

It all boils down to respect and doing what's right.

And yes, I've also used our horses and mountain bikes to hunt out west.

Last edited:
It isn't the inanimate object, it is the idiot wielding it.

Unfortunately, ATV user ethics and considerations are just reflecting general society's standards, which are in the toilet.

Couple this with the USFS and BLM greatly restricting access to areas and roads for no other reason other than the decisions are being driven by the enviro loonies, the few areas, roads and spots left accessible are getting concentrated use.

Having spent 7 years post USMC retirement as a BLM field manager responsible for over 1.5 million acres in Idaho and Nevada, I can tell you for a fact that few of the staff want anybody out on the range except in the small number of "designated" areas they want to restrict you to. It is a culture of restricted use, not multiple use as the law requires.

Chorizo is right on. Hear in Virginia we have National Forest. And it is used by a lot of hunters that do not have excess to private lands. I find that gates that are supposed to be open for hunters are either open several weeks late or not at all. When I asked the Park Rangers about it, they basically tell me it is up to their degression. And it takes a day to open them all and they just do not want to bother and the truth of it is they are ANTI Hunters and or Anti Firearms. or Anti Dog Hunters or maybe all the above. I have stopped buying the USNF stamp to add to my license.

What I find is you have to look at the regulations on each area. Fed land here is closed to all motorized vehicles. State owned lands that have pedal bike or walking or horseback trails are open for only Class 2 e bikes No Class 3. Georgia State lands the same.

That may very well be true. However, again its not the ATV's fault. Its the person riding them. To blame the ATV is liken to blaming a gun for murdering someone.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that a 4-wheeler is a very useful machine for hunting. Without one I would not been able to hunt some of the places I did and still do. That includes out west in the big mountains. I did not nor do not ride my 4-wheelers all the wat to my hunting locations. However, I legally ride them close enough to where I can walk into the general area. Also, even right here on my own property, I have used my 4-wheelers to drag countless numbers of deer up the very steep hill to my garage.

I do not have the good health to be dragging out big game like I once did.

It all boils down to respect and doing what's right.

And yes, I've also used our horses and mountain bikes to hunt out west.
Well, if I gave the impression that I blame the ATV itself then let me clarify. It is indeed all on the user/mis-user. I don't own one but have used a few that belong to friends. Quite enjoyable.

When I did the hunt referenced here it started at a closed gate. Quite a few people use ATVs and dirt bikes on the road that I used to get to the gate. I've no problem with that. It's legal use. Mostly they are just riding. I encountered a few legal users that day but none were hunters.

This is a hunt that I always Wanted to try and finally got around to it.

There's this gate FS road that follows the topo lines starting at the head of a valley and runs for many miles and ends being over 2000 feet above the valley below.

To get there one must 4 wheel to the top of a pass ar 12,450. Leaves town far behind.

View attachment 253594

Then back down the other side about 2000 to the starting point. It's a little chilly but it will warm up.
View attachment 253595

I rigged my ancient mtn bike up to carry the rifle cased along with a trekking pole and a few bike repair essentials.
View attachment 253596

Day pack and bag and horn over the shoulder.

This area was hit by a fire in 2018 and then again with a huge fire in 2019.
View attachment 253594View attachment 253595View attachment 253596View attachment 253597View attachment 253598View attachment 253599View attachment 253600

After beating myself to death on this rocky road for a little over 6 miles I got off into the woods for a bit. I found the down trees to be near impassable but I did get a pretty good look around. There was some deer sign but very little elk sign. They were more than likely up higher at timberline but this old man wasn't going any higher through the blow downs so time to call it a day.View attachment 253594View attachment 253595View attachment 253596View attachment 253597View attachment 253598View attachment 253599View attachment 253600View attachment 253601View attachment 253602

My handy dandy plywood extension gave out on the rough road but it was fixable.

All in all it was an exhausting 12 mile round trip. Probably won't be doing it again. 😕
Dang, I we were really looking forward to pics of you packing an elk on handlebars of the bike 🤣

Well, if I gave the impression that I blame the ATV itself then let me clarify. It is indeed all on the user/mis-user. I don't own one but have used a few that belong to friends. Quite enjoyable.

When I did the hunt referenced here it started at a closed gate. Quite a few people use ATVs and dirt bikes on the road that I used to get to the gate. I've no problem with that. It's legal use. Mostly they are just riding. I encountered a few legal users that day but none were hunters.
I understand and I was not out to attack you on this. Not a problem. Just stating that many of us do abide by the laws.

And to be clear, I never use my 4-wheers for fun riding. They are working tools in some capacity.

Not picking a fight here, but why wouldn't an electric bike be considered a motorized vehicle, so it's a no go in vehicle prohibited areas?
You are correct in most cases. The BLM and Forest service has left it up to their local managers to either designate E-bikes non motorized or grant exceptions so it is a piece meal across the west. We have about 50/50 out here. More liberal states have significantly less because the people running things are, for the most part more liberal and anti use.

To do some clarification...Mining is huge out here so there are lots of 2 track roads to mines and claims. The roads to mining claims are normally gated, but are NOT designated non-motorized. Some have specially sized passes for ATV entrance, some do not. Some have gaps for bikes. Others are simply gated with no explanation or designations on the map or any signage. That is the majority of the gates on 2 tracks. This allows me so skirt the gate and use my ebike. Use of the road is not prohibited nor is being on the road. It simply is restricted access. All this sounds like parsing and legalize.... and you are correct, that is how the US government classifies things. There are some bike trails that are non-motorized and you cannot take an e-bike on them, but by and large 2 track roads that provide access to mining claims or other reasons are not restricted use...simply restricted access.

Single track use varies and you have to check the travel management plan for each area you are going to be in. Yes, they don't make it easy, don't provide easily readable maps (I know how to read topo maps after 21 years as a Marine Corps helo pilot), and quite frankly, law enforcement don't and can't even understand the rules and read the maps themselves.

I have had to, more than once, school an USFS ranger and BLM staff on what is permitted and what is not.

BTW: Do get the travel management plan maps . You will find that most FS districts have been quite flagrant with marking roads, paths and gate non-motorized with signs that do not belong. Signs mean nothing and the plan/document are what is used in court. The controlling document is the travel management plan (TMP) and I have been known to roll it up and poke a few rangers in the eye with them.

If you go to court for being ticketed behind an unmarked gate or on an unmarked trail that is non-motorized, you will get fined because the TMP is the controlling document; however, conversely, the judge will toss out the ticket and chastise the agency for giving you a ticket when it is unwarranted and incorrectly marked as closed when it isn't.

The Forest Service around here has a bad habit of putting closed signs everywhere, needed, allowed, or are designated or not.

Last edited:
It isn't the inanimate object, it is the idiot wielding it.

Unfortunately, ATV user ethics and considerations are just reflecting general society's standards, which are in the toilet.

Couple this with the USFS and BLM greatly restricting access to areas and roads for no other reason other than the decisions are being driven by the enviro loonies, the few areas, roads and spots left accessible are getting concentrated use.

Having spent 7 years post USMC retirement as a BLM field manager responsible for over 1.5 million acres in Idaho and Nevada, I can tell you for a fact that few of the staff want anybody out on the range except in the small number of "designated" areas they want to restrict you to. It is a culture of restricted use, not multiple use as the law requires.

Opinions of a hands-on citizen property rights activist with 30+ years experience within local & state governments;

Civic apathy is allowing America to become the next third world dictatorship.
~History Repeating Itself~
The oppressive government & regulations Americans are surrendering to is hard evidence that civic apathy is allowing us to be
increasingly confined to our reservations (designated towns & cities) same as Native Americans.
America's founders knew about political corruption, they appointed Citizens with the constitutional lawful authority to promptly oust rouge public servants who's actions or records evidence acts of corruption &/or treason.

Many see President Trump as America's 2nd George Washington, the 2020 election was rigged & Patriotic 06 Demonstrators are being imprisoned in a Soviet style gulag.

Hopefully synthetic intelligence hasn't replaced this generation's patriotism & love for America.

Makes sense further North. The first bugle I heard was the day we left on the 14th. They used to honk the first two weeks in years past, but not since 2019 by my reckoning. They also had a hard winter last, and talking to some of the guys in Gunnison they thought that will make them start later.

With friends like you...

Reminds me of the time Missouri traded Arkansas turkeys for rattlesnakes.
tenor.gif

I got back last Thursday from CO. It's a really late season. No bugling and they're still in their bachelor groups when I left. It'll be a good muzzle loader season for elk (like bow season). Next year I'm pushing back my elk trip to the second half of September, because they seem to rut later and later.

I think it has also to do with ever increasing recreational activities. An area that I hunt is definitely quiet until a few weeks after labor day. There are lots of old mining trails and roads that are open to vehicles. Also a lot of nice spots for dispersed camping. The area is busy from early July to labor day. Then it falls off a lot. Elk start sounding off more afterwards.

I've also noticed a lot more bugling and rutting activity in October than years ago.

For the early September season a good tactic is to forget about listening for bugling and leave the bugle in camp. Learn what a cow in estrus sounds like and use it very sparingly. The bulls have mostly not put their harems together and most cows haven't come into estrus. A bull without cows is VERY susceptible to a cow in heat call. OTOH, bulls coming to a bugle does happen but not nearly as often as the sellers of elk calls would have you think. When bulls are bugling, be very sparing in responding with a bugle. If he has a harem and you approach bugling he's most likely to prod his harem away from you.

Most of the examples you will hear of how a cow in estrus sounds are not very useful. The make a sound like a cat meowing mournfully. Not aggressively and not continuously. About three calls every 10 minutes. Often an interested bull will bugle back at the cow call. DON'T even touch the bugle. Let him come. As with turkeys, it's natural for the female to go to the calling male. But when the male is alone he's very likely to go to the female.

Latest posts

Back