• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kinda weird elk hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a hunt that I always Wanted to try and finally got around to it.

There's this gate FS road that follows the topo lines starting at the head of a valley and runs for many miles and ends being over 2000 feet above the valley below.

To get there one must 4 wheel to the top of a pass ar 12,450. Leaves town far behind.

20230916_051531_copy_800x600.jpg

Then back down the other side about 2000 to the starting point. It's a little chilly but it will warm up.
20230916_054042_copy_800x600.jpg

I rigged my ancient mtn bike up to carry the rifle cased along with a trekking pole and a few bike repair essentials.
20230916_063337_copy_800x600.jpg

Day pack and bag and horn over the shoulder.

This area was hit by a fire in 2018 and then again with a huge fire in 2019.
20230916_065632_copy_800x600.jpg
20230916_065627_copy_800x600.jpg
20230916_091103_copy_450x600.jpg
20230916_072321_copy_800x600.jpg

After beating myself to death on this rocky road for a little over 6 miles I got off into the woods for a bit. I found the down trees to be near impassable but I did get a pretty good look around. There was some deer sign but very little elk sign. They were more than likely up higher at timberline but this old man wasn't going any higher through the blow downs so time to call it a day.
20230916_065632_copy_800x600.jpg
20230916_065627_copy_800x600.jpg
20230916_091103_copy_450x600.jpg
20230916_072321_copy_800x600.jpg
20230916_083115_copy_800x600.jpg
20230916_092344_copy_450x600.jpg

My handy dandy plywood extension gave out on the rough road but it was fixable.

All in all it was an exhausting 12 mile round trip. Probably won't be doing it again. 😕

Gee, I was waiting to see an elk lashed to your bike. :D Can you camp beyond the gate? That way you could work a two day hunt / one trip out of it...

Yes, camping is a great option but I didn't have time for it. Maybe another time but not this year. Actually, for a pack In it would be nearly as easy to simply walk in. It took a bit over 2 hours going in and I could hike it in a bit over three. Wouldn't want to do it for any less than four days.

I hiked into an area closed to vehicles in New Mexico one year. Took four hours to get into position overlooking a meadow with elk sign everywhere. 10 minutes befor sunrise three guys y today obviously ignored the no vehicles sign drove right through the meadow. I HATE ATVs, wish they were all outlawed.

I hiked into an area closed to vehicles in New Mexico one year. Took four hours to get into position overlooking a meadow with elk sign everywhere. 10 minutes befor sunrise three guys y today obviously ignored the no vehicles sign drove right through the meadow. I HATE ATVs, wish they were all outlawed.
Sad for sure, Billy. However, its not the ATV, its the person riding it and it doesn't have to be that way.

Sad for sure, Billy. However, its not the ATV, its the person riding it and it doesn't have to be that way.

ATV use has been a plague during our seasons. It's ironic because most of the places that are legal for ATVs are also accessible by a conventional vehicle or even the family sedan.
Except for trails designated as open to ATVs they are not allowed but seem to show up anyway.

I will say that things have been improving due to the majority of hunters reporting them. Still, reporting can be difficult with poor cell service. On top of that, enforcement is spread very thin.

Nice. That is why I went the carbine route as I use a bike to get around to hunt. A carbine slung across my back, small pack for essentials and the bike paniers loaded with bags, knives, saw and other articles to quarter the game. I bike to the kick off point and use the bike to bring the game out. I do choose mining roads that are gated but mechanized travel is permitted, so taking my ebike down it is permitted. Typically I can get half an elk out per load. I will take the trailer in a day or two prior and break it down an stash it by my kickoff area leaving it until it is needed or I am done hunting.

Last year's hunt was 2.6 miles in to my spot. This year was only 1/2 mile.

bike2.jpgbike1.jpg

Nice. That is why I went the carbine route as I use a bike to get around to hunt. A carbine slung across my back, small pack for essentials and the bike paniers loaded with bags, knives, saw and other articles to quarter the game. I bike to the kick off point and use the bike to bring the game out. I do choose mining roads that are gated but mechanized travel is permitted, so taking my ebike down it is permitted. Typically I can get half an elk out per load. I will take the trailer in a day or two prior and break it down an stash it by my kickoff area leaving it until it is needed or I am done hunting.

Last year's hunt was 2.6 miles in to my spot. This year was only 1/2 mile.

View attachment 253649View attachment 253650
I want one of those bikes! saw and rode one at a yard sale and for an old cripple they are the ticket!

here if they catch you with a motorized vehicle, with out a permit, behind the gates its confiscation and 10k fine! the USFS opens the gates Nov 15. that's the day the Griz go to bed.
That is for protection of "critical habitat" . We don't have the griz down here and I would like to keep it that way!

I want one of those bikes! saw and rode one at a yard sale and for an old cripple they are the ticket!
QuietKat has a big sale going on that ends today. 750 watt Ranger will do everything you could ask of it, I am 68 and with 21 years in the Marine Corps and ranching prior to that I am pretty beat up and it has kept me in the woods longer and deeper than I can go on foot.

https://quietkat.com/collections/outlet/products/ranger-1?variant=39478957965465
@deerstalkert see PM

2011 @ 6200 ft Boise Mountains

Last edited:
@longcruise A bike is the way to go for sure, especially if you have a trailer to get your game out.

Just got to watch out for bears. Moving down the trail triggers their chase response. I always use a flashing light front and back as I have been told that will keep them off of you. Thankfully I have never had to find out yet, but I did come upon a big bear this summer and I had to stop my bike and yell at him to get him to move off the trail. I don't think he knew what I was!

@chorizo I'm guessing that solar panel charges the bike?
I am full solar. I hate to hear generators when I am in the woods. My camping trailer and my bike I charge with solar.

I use a EcoFlow River Pro solar generator, my solar panels (300 watts), an extra bike battery and a 12vdc charger for the bike. Plug the extra bike battery into the 12vdc charger, then the charger into the EcoFlow, the solar panels to EcoFlow and let it charge while I am out hunting. rotate bike battery as needed.

I have a freezer, fridge, heater, stove, shower, head and bed. I am good for 3 weeks, before I have to come off the mountain. The trailer will go some incredibly rough places

camp.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup 👌

Although, I must say, if I had your two wheel rig I would pack a 42" barrel. 🤣 just kidding!

This was my first use of the bike for hunting and it may be the last. If I do it again it will be on a fat tire bike and a trailer. My trip out was easier than in because I deflated the tires a bit. Might have been able to go down a little more but was leary of damaging a rim.

Nice setup 👌

Although, I must say, if I had your two wheel rig I would pack a 42" barrel. 🤣 just kidding!

This was my first use of the bike for hunting and it may be the last. If I do it again it will be on a fat tire bike and a trailer. My trip out was easier than in because I deflated the tires a bit. Might have been able to go down a little more but was leary of damaging a rim.
If you do, get Tannus Armour for your tires. Save you lots of heartburn!

https://tannus.com/armour/

Latest posts

Back