• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kinda weird elk hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I will just have to rope the one that got all my McIntosh apples last night and UPS the bugger down to you!
what are friends for?
Send it to CA. They got the wolves they were asking for and now want griz. They can have everyone of them.

I need to build a griz migrant wall somewhere north of Riggins to keep them where they belong!

Sas something like this in the woods the other day in an area where off-roading is not allowed , tearing thru the woods hundreds of yards from the actual walking trail. Couldn’t believe how fast it was or how quiet. Blew by my stand and did’t seem to notice me.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.png
    IMG_0150.png
    770.2 KB · Views: 0
Seven something like this in the woods the other day in an area where off-roading is not allowed , tearing thru the woods hundreds of yards from the actual walking trail. Couldn’t believe how fast it was or how quiet. Blew by my stand and did’t seem to notice me.

100% everything you wrote. That’s pretty much exactly how we hunted. We bugled a single time at our 12,500 camp, and then very infrequent cow calls morning and afternoon while glassing, but nothing in return. Not a ton of point in it as we saw all mulies.

Because of all the wet weather this year and late high country snow melt, most of the elk in our country stayed down low. There was no need for them to go higher as they had all the feed and cover they needed down low. Bow hunters hunting up high almost uniformly struck out while guys like me, hunting 4000 ft to 5000 ft did well. The deer on the other hand went high to get away from the elk. They don't play well together.

Almost the opposite of a normal year.

Local knowledge wins every time.
I have been scouting since June with cameras placed from 6800 ft to 3500 ft. Two of us checking weekly. The last picture of the nice bull was taken at 5200 ft. We got no pictures of anything but deer above that.

Most of the others were at 4200 ft where I killed my cow. Note how the condition of the animals improved in 60 days. Plenty of feed down low.

Check out the dates on the pictures

cow elk 7-21.JPGSpike and calf 6-23.JPGCow 6-9.JPGlittle bull 6-10.JPGCow 6-11.JPGBull 6-5.JPGCow 6-4.JPGCow2 6-4.JPGbull.jpeg

elk3.jpeg

Last edited:
There are 12 days left to bow season, with a cold front coming in with early snow called for at 6500ft and above with rains for 2-3 days starting Wednesday. Full bugle going on. By the end of the week the bulls will have there harems gathered and things will be come tougher to hunt. Satellite bulls will still be active until the 30th when bow (muzzleloader in select areas) ends

Here is the bull going for a close up a week before his profile picture

elk2.jpeg

elk6.jpegelk5.jpegelk4.jpeg

Last edited:
You are correct in most cases. The BLM and Forest service has left it up to their local managers to either designate E-bikes non motorized or grant exceptions so it is a piece meal across the west. We have about 50/50 out here. More liberal states have significantly less because the people running things are, for the most part more liberal and anti use.
Anti use is good way to describe it. In the Adirondacks where I live, upstate NY, if it’s state land and designated forever wild, you can’t even take a horse in. I would guess pedal power bikes are prohibited too.

Apparently, the knowledge that land exists, and will never again be visited/enjoyed or god forbid utilized by humans, is a great thing.

Anti use is good way to describe it. In the Adirondacks where I live, upstate NY, if it’s state land and designated forever wild, you can’t even take a horse in. I would guess pedal power bikes are prohibited too.

Apparently, the knowledge that land exists, and will never again be visited/enjoyed or god forbid utilized by humans, is a great thing.
In wilderness (Idaho has 5.8 million acres just slightly smaller than new hampshire I believe) you cannot use anything mechanical. No chain saws to clear trails ..you got to use hand saws and buck saws...no bikes, no wheeled hand carts...it is insane.

Horses are allowed.

§ 6302.20 What is prohibited in wilderness?
Except as specifically provided in the Wilderness Act, the individual statutes designating the particular BLM wilderness area, or the regulations of this part, and subject to valid existing rights, in BLM wilderness areas you must not:

(a) Operate a commercial enterprise;
(b) Build temporary or permanent roads;
(c) Build aircraft landing strips, heliports, or helispots;
(d) Use motorized equipment; or motor vehicles, motorboats, or other forms of mechanical transport;
(e) Land aircraft, or drop or pick up any material, supplies or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter, hang-glider, hot air balloon, parasail, or parachute;
(f) Build, install, or erect structures or installations, including transmission lines, motels, vacation homes, sheds, stores, resorts, organization camps, hunting and fishing lodges, electronic installations, and similar structures, other than tents, tarpaulins, temporary corrals, and similar devices for overnight camping;
(g) Cut trees;
(h) Enter or use wilderness areas without authorization, where BLM requires authorization under § 6302.12;
(i) Engage or participate in competitive use as defined in section 2932.5 of this chapter, including those activities involving physical endurance of a person or animal, foot races, water craft races, survival exercises, war games, or other similar exercises;

Sec. 261.16 National Forest Wilderness.

The following are prohibited in a National Forest Wilderness:
(a) Possessing or using a motor vehicle, motorboat or motorized equipment except as authorized by Federal Law or regulation.
(b) Possessing or using a hang glider or bicycle.
(c) Landing of aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies, or person by means of aircraft, including a helicopter.
(d) Entering or being in the area.
(e) Possessing camping or pack-outfitting equipment, as specified in the order.
(f) Possessing a firearm or firework.
(g) Possessing any non-burnable food or beverage containers, including deposit bottles, except for non-burnable containers designed and intended for repeated use.
(h) Grazing.
(i) Storing equipment, personal property or supplies.
(j) Disposing of debris, garbage, or other waste.
(k) Possessing or using a wagon, cart or other vehicle.

Some of the above you can do according to the legislation enacting the wilderness, but the above are the general rules.

Below is the definition for mechanical transport:

Mechanical transport​

Mechanical transport means any vehicle, device, or contrivance for moving people or material in or over land, water, snow, or air that has moving parts. This includes, but is not limited to, sailboats, sailboards, hang gliders, parachutes, bicycles, game carriers, carts, and wagons. The term does not include wheelchairs, nor does it include horses or other pack stock, skis, snowshoes, non-motorized river craft including, but not limited to, drift boats, rafts, and canoes, or sleds, travois, or similar devices without moving parts.

Last edited:
Colorado has been overrun with urban population last few years, and majority of those newcomers do not consider hunting human and ethical activity, so they do not care. They vote. Just like we lost bear spring hunt due to the vote, and got wolfs reintroduced (or tried to) due to the vote, we will see more and more restrictions on hunting and guns in the future. Enjoy it while we can, our kids may not be able to.

Send it to CA. They got the wolves they were asking for and now want griz. They can have everyone of them.

I need to build a griz migrant wall somewhere north of Riggins to keep them where they belong!
if you build that wall right on the boundary i will pay for it! but first we would have to round up the undocumented griz on this side and send them to California. California just won't learn. when i was just a pup i hunted Cats with an old time cowboy. before the turn of the 19th century he had killed over 300 cougars. he had lost track by the time i hunted with him midway through the 20th century.
i worked hard against the referendum outlawing cat hunting. folks thought cougars were Disney pets.
they probably think the same about Griz. would actually love to see a couple Griz roaming about in SF.

@longcruise A bike is the way to go for sure, especially if you have a trailer to get your game out.

Just got to watch out for bears. Moving down the trail triggers their chase response. I always use a flashing light front and back as I have been told that will keep them off of you. Thankfully I have never had to find out yet, but I did come upon a big bear this summer and I had to stop my bike and yell at him to get him to move off the trail. I don't think he knew what I was!
I would wet my pants if i seen a grizz

I would wet my pants if i seen a grizz
I see black bears all the time and they don't bother me in the least. I have seen two griz in the wild....one a fair distance away, but the other at about 100 yards. He didn't see me, but it did scare the living .... out of me. Let's just say they are a completely different beast and much more ominous.

I was carrying a 44 mag pistol and my first thought to paraphrase "Jaws" was "I think I need a bigger gun".

Back