• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler SMR Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve built three kits so far. Another due when 36 caliber barrels are made. My experience is the number one step is to install the butt plate and keep it on. Otherwise careless handling knowingly or unknowingly may result in damage to that very very delicate toe of the SMR. I speak from experience. On my first rifle I had to add a toe plate to fix my error.
Thank you, great advise, I'm waiting for my SMR rifle. I will be taking your advice. Make a lot of sense.

This has been a great string! I am a fan of Jim Kibler and his work, though I have not been a customer.
I have a neurologic disease that affects my hands and makes even buttoning a shirt a significant event. BUT, if I had good hands, I'd be ordering a Kibler kit right now!
It made me smile to read that this Kibler customer worked things out and said so. Good ending to a "problem", I think.

I’ve built three kits so far. Another due when 36 caliber barrels are made. My experience is the number one step is to install the butt plate and keep it on. Otherwise careless handling knowingly or unknowingly may result in damage to that very very delicate toe of the SMR. I speak from experience. On my first rifle I had to add a toe plate to fix my error.
Good advice, a little late to help me. I have a young border collie/pitbull(?) mix, and she's pretty rowdy. I was walking across my shop with my half-done SMR in one hand when she decided to charge between my legs, spin around, and grab one of my pant cuffs. The rifle went flying, and I almost landed on top of it I have no idea how I managed to stay on my feet.... Broke the toe off when it hit the floor, of course.

It was a fairly small piece that came off, and it would've been easy to glue back on. The sharp corner was a little crushed, but some sanding and reshaping the end of the butt plate would've taken care of that. But somehow I managed to lose it that evening. I searched for a couple of hours next day in the hope I had simply knocked it off the work table or set it down somewhere, with no luck. I suspect I stashed it away somewhere clever so it wouldn't get lost, went to bed, and forgot what I had done with it. Yes, there may have been adult beverages involved....

I was lucky, though. I had some maple scrap left over from making a zero clearance blade insert for my table saw, and it was a close color match . I doubt anyone will ever notice the repair, unless they know it's there and go looking for it. I may add a toe plate someday anyway though - or maybe not. After all, the repair is an honest part of the rifle's history...

I ordered my colonial in fancy grade maple. When finishing i was hoping for more curl. A year and a half later the curl is popping out and with more coverage overall. Sometimes you just have to wait.

I have to respond to this ambush of Jim Kibler. I purchased a Lancaster Kit from Jim Chambers about 10 or more years ago, before I ever heard of Jim Kibler. I had wanted to build a Kentucky rifle since I was a kid and growing up on a chicken farm in Mississippi. But, after receiving the kit, the project seemed overwhelming. I didn't even start to build the rifle until I was retired and had plenty of time to work on it because of the virus last year. When starting, I needed a lot of help, so I “googled” and discovered Jim Kibler - watching every video he posted, several times. And, after watching his videos several times, I watched them again several more times. When I didn’t understand some details in the video, I sent emails to Kibler and he always responded even though I was not a customer. I asked stupid questions like, “I want a chicken on my patchbox, but will this ruin the value of my rifle?” I was worried, because a chicken patchbox was not protocol in the 1700s, but Jim encouraged me to go for it. Jim liked my design. I copied several of his design ideas for my stock carvings. He was a huge supporter. Even though I waited months and paid premium for my maple stock from Chambers, I was disappointed with the prominence of the striping, because it’s not uniformly striped from one end to the other. But, you really never know how a stock is going to turn out until it is finished. I am happy with my Lancaster kit from Chambers. And let me re-emphasize, that Jim Kibler is a GREAT American. He is in this line of work not to make money, but to keep the ancient art of building Kentucky rifles current and lasting for generations to come. I am a huge fan. I am a retired rocket scientist, having worked for NASA 42 years and built satellites that earned our scientist the Nobel Prize. If anyone is interested in how my rifle turned out, I will post a few pictures. Please - never throw rocks at Jim Kibler. He is one of my major heroes.

I'm not sure but I think his kits are pretty much sand, stain, & assemble.
OR, you can just assemble and shoot! You can take these kits as far as you want to. There is a whole lot of "work" that can be done. Most of the "basics" is done. The fun is is in the details, and there is a lot that can be done to personalize each kit. Great company, and people to deal with.

Latest posts

Back