• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kibler now has three models to choose from. Adding the Fowler makes four. Unless he adds new equipment, or new employees (not sure if he runs three shifts) he will have to make the new model on the same equipment, taking away production time from the other models so I think his lead times are going to get longer and longer. Adding a hawken will just put more strain on the existing manpower and machines, assuming he’s not planning on buying a couple more CNC machines so each can be dedicated to a single product. It’s great he’s had so much success but growing too big, too fast has its own set of problems.

I would be kind of surprised to see a Kibler Hawken, unless it would be a full-stocked flintlock. Flintlocks seem to be his specialty. However, there is a void in the market for an accurate reproduction of a full-stocked J&S Hawken percussion.

Mr. Kibler also makes authentic, historically correct guns, incorporating features found on originals. Original Hawkens were heavy. It is my understanding that the original Hawken “Mountain rifles” were typically 12-13 pounds. People are clamoring for an authentic Hawken kit, but they want one under 8 pounds. You just can’t have it both ways, unless you want a replica of one of the smaller caliber, lighter-weight Hawken “squirrel rifles,” as they built for the local trade in St. Louis. One of these in the .40-.45 caliber range would make a dandy target or hunting rifle for up to deer-sized game, and a Kibler kit for one of these would probably be well received, although lot of people seem to want the big bores and really slow twists now.

Mr. Kibler is without doubt one of the greatest muzzleloading innovators of the present day. He should be commended for putting the time needed into research and development of his kits, and then actually getting them into production. I have no doubt that whatever his next kit turns out to be… fowling piece, trade gun, Hawken, or whatever, it will be a good one, but I wouldn’t count on seeing one any time soon.

Notchy Bob

I spoke with Jim a while back and advocated for a fullstock indian trade rifle he said he probably not do one but now that i'm having one built I hope he comes out with a fowler or a Hawken either way the guy will sell a boat load of whatever he comes up with !

I'm still learning my Kibler .32 SMR. A wonderful rifle to handle, shoot, and study while hanging on the wall. I want another Kibler but it's important that I wait until I am ready to move forward with it. Most will not understand what I am talking about. Thats okay. When Kibler releases a kit it is not only well-engineered and manufactured it is a textbook of history. Which is a big part of being an heirloom piece.

Jim has stated over and over that it is going to be a Fowler. But not ornate to any degree. He even has a video where he shows a gun simular to the one he wants to produce.
It will take time to produce it because of all the reprogramming he has to do for his CNC machines.
No doubt it will be a fantastic kit...

Jim has stated over and over that it is going to be a Fowler. But not ornate to any degree. He even has a video where he shows a gun simular to the one he wants to produce.
It will take time to produce it because of all the reprogramming he has to do for his CNC machines.
No doubt it will be a fantastic kit...
I'm under the impression that he brought a sample of the future fowler at the latest meet, someone on here must have seen.

My old .54 cal. Green River Hawken was a beauty to behold while hunting Idaho's mountains in my mid 20's but as I aged this rifle became too much of a burden to pack except at the range & rendezvous.
I've observed that many who have age & other physical issues have slowly gravitated to lighter & shorter big bore rifles with swamped barrels.
My 7lb2oz .70 cal. Danish built Jaeger became my favorite rifle for competition shooting & hunting.
If you squint it resembles a short full stocked Hawken. 🤣

My 7lb2oz .70 cal. Danish built Jaeger became my favorite rifle for competition shooting & hunting.
I used to camp next to John Braxton at Friendship. He built museum quality Jaegers from scratch (yep, locks, screws, everything) that were things of beauty. They were beautifully balanced and came to shoulder/sight almost on their own. Even my Rev. period longrifle did not shoulder that naturally. The only other rifle I have ever had that did/does that is my Little Feller built by Dave Persons. BTW, I digress but a memory popped up. Braxton offered to build me a custom Jaeger for $400.00. Poor boy here, I regretfully declined the offer.😢

Latest posts

Back