• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Fur Trade Rifle ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Lightle

40 Cal
Reaction score
Wanting a 58 so would the Colonial be pretty close to right in fur trade era?

Last edited:
Fur trade? Western fur trade rendezvous period (1825 - 1840)? Western fur trade prior to 1825? Eastern fur trade prior to that? I know some guys who still bring in a little money trapping, and generally carry a modern gun when making their rounds.

I'm a reenactor of the western fur trade, rendezvous period. At some events I've carried my northwest trade gun, but mostly I carry my .50 caliber southern mountain rifle which is based on guns from the late flint period. Carrying a southern gun in the western fur trade would indicate that it was a personal arm that I brought with me. My persona is that of a hunter for the fur brigade. I would have made the trip out west with the brigade, and returned again to St. Louis, having contracted my services for wages. I know how to trap beaver, but it's not my thing. I put meat on the family table, for the first time, when I was about ten years old. I wouldn't call myself a serious hunter any more, but I still love it. So that persona fits me. Not as sexy as being a free trapper... but someone's gotta feed the brigade, right?

At .50 caliber, my gun would be on the small side for the job, but not unheard of. The trade gun would be more appropriate; but i like my southern gun better. I like looking at it, carrying it, and holding it. And I built it from a blank, so it's hand made... and I like that about it too. My trade gun was assembled from a kit.

It depends on what and who you're portraying. It's based on research, but it's still fantasy. Grown men dreaming of a life they'll never have and things they'll never do. That's why gunsmiths and builders (like me) put the artifice of aging on our guns; to make them look like they have a history that they don't. In the fur trade all guns were made by hand... but that's not an option for everyone.

The quality and beauty of a well assembled and finished gun from Kibler (and some others) cannot be argued, and will outlast us all when properly used and cared for. When you look at the different finished Kibler guns, I imagine there's one that appeals to you more than the others. That's the one I would recommend. It all depends on who we are, I guess. A good flintlock is magic for me. I'm a flintlock shooter first, and a reenactor second. Reenacting is great fun. And it gives me some connection with my ancestors, who were pioneers, both the east and west. But it's still fantasy. Shooting on the range or at a gathering, carrying your gun while hunting, and taking game... that's reality. That means something today. Pick the one you want. Pick the one you'll use.

I'm older now, than I used to be... so I'm allowed to ramble. For what it's worth.

Have never camped at a rendezvous or reenacted just a hunter,would just like to kill some animals with an era correct rifle,guess I am just another old man pondering.Thanks for your reply.
I'm also a big fan of the .58, and have taken three deer with one I recently lost. I also recently finished one that I'll probably end up keeping now. The colonial in a .58 would be a goooood rifle gun! With moderate loads recoil isn't bad at all, and it's a thumper on game.

I don't know about now but when I was doing the rendezvous before 2000 the Hawkins and Lyman rifles were the common guns. I either shot my Lyman or NW Trade gun. That is not to say there is anything wrong with the Kibler Colonial. That is what I was shooting today at a match. Mine is a .58 cal. smoothbore and I love that gun. In fact I have the Woodsrunner as well as the Kibler SMR and I can recommend them as well.
This probably didn't answer your question but I think you would be happy with the Colonial rifle.

It would be fine for what you want to do. I can't imagine someone at a fur trade rondyvoo would complain that it would not be hysterically correct anyway.
they shouldn't complain, heck they will drive there in their 80,000 pickup truck and their camping equipment bought from walmart that is made in china, you know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would say it fits squarely in the 'fur trade' era. Would definitely fit in the earlier stages and I'm sure could still be seen being used in the latter. It's a solid gun as well so hunt with it and enjoy.

Wanting a 58 so would the Colonial be pretty close to right in fur trade era?

In a word, yes.

Agreed. In reading the period accounts, you see the phrase, “…long, heavy rifle…” repeated frequently in reference to the trappers’ equipment. Smoothbores seem to be all the rage now, to the point that many have talked themselves into believing that mountain men carried them. However, the artwork, the surviving artifacts, and especially the literature tell us rifles were preferred. Mountain men were certainly familiar with trade guns and muskets, but comments about these were generally rather contemptuous.

There is also plenty of evidence that the “mountaineers” (as they were generally called) stuck with their flintlocks even well into the percussion era, and half-stocks were uncommon. Their terminology was different back then, in that full-stocks were generally described as “ whole stocked.”

Lots of Pennsylvania trade rifles would have been carried by trappers, and books by Paul and Whisker document gunsmiths from the east, especially Virginia, moving to Missouri, where they set up shop for serving local customers as well as emigrants and people outfitting for the mountains.

In any event, your Colonial rifle would have been designed and built in an earlier time, but who is to say older rifles weren’t carried in the early 19th century, and the larger calibers would have been preferred for the larger game and longer shooting distances of the plains and mountains. A somewhat later Lancaster or southern rifle might be more typical, but I think you ought to be fine with a .58 caliber Kibler Colonial rifle.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back