• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Kap Kovers"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Here's a couple photos of a "Kap Kover"...designed to moisture proof the nipple, with a side benefit of acting as a safety...used them for several years...excellent.

"Kap Kover" design can be seen as well as the special 'Hot-Shot' nipple with the O-ring around[url] it...side[/url] benefit is that it prevents the hammer from accidently striking the cap;

1550881052505LockKapKoverbesidenipple800.jpg

"Kap Kover" installed down over the nipple...snug fit around the O-ring;

1550884052505LockKapKoveronnipple800.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe there is a spring loaded model that uncovers the percussion cap when you cock the hammer. :hmm:

I'm thinking that a spring loaded model wouldn't be practical when used in a hunting situation.A Brass cap cover would make a fair bit of racket on the lock plate and such. :imo:

I'm thinking that a spring loaded model wouldn't be practical when used in a hunting situation.A Brass cap cover would make a fair bit of racket on the lock plate and such. :imo:

Unless it was hinged like the flip top of a modern day plastic ketchup bottle or something

I must be missing something here. ::
For years I'd always just ran some lube around the outside of the nipple, installed a snug cap, smoothed the lube at the nipple's base and went hunting.
We get some serious rain here in New England, and I've never had a failure from wet nipples/powder. Once I failed from no powder, but that's anouther story. ::

I must be missing something here. ::

You're not missing anything...it's simply an alternative approach, which also provides an additional degree of safety...use what works for you
:redthumb:

You just might want to check with your Fish & Game Dept. before using one of these.

I own one, but I have never used it while hunting here in the Northwest. (Washington State)

Last year I was told that it could be a problem, depending on the LEO, as our Game Regs clearly say, "the ignition must be exposed to the elements".

I also own a new, still in the package, "Accra-Shot" that I have never opened, because my son-in-law did get a ticket for having one on his caplock a few years back.

Both of these things are neat little fun gadgets, but be careful that you are not in violation of some obscure regulation that could get you in trouble by using them.

This is just one of the many things I don't understand about my own home State Game Laws, and those in Idaho...... ie, Some in-lines are legal while some are not, and if any in-line can be used, why can't these two items???

I don't have to worry because I hunt mostly with a Flintlock.
But even if I didn't, I don't think my ignorance would help much if I got caught using these, it just irritates me that such small deatils / things are in-fact included in the law.

Sorry for rambling......... :hatsoff:

Russ

I was looking at one for safety. If I was to drill holes in the sides, opening it to the elements, would that be ok? I will be hunting in Idaho next year.

Would you get a ticket for the use of a cow's knee? :no:

I don't have any idea. Anything I say will be a guess.
However,If the letter of the law is used, I would guess yes.
If the intent of the law is used, I would guess no. But that is just guessing, and not a good thing to do.

This same question was asked before several years ago on a cast bullet forum. I forgot all about it until a year or so later, when I did remember and asked one of the Deputy Sheriff's at our Gun Club (These folks are the "major" enforcer of Game Laws in my neck of the woods)......Anyway, he didn't even know what I was talking about!

But he did say...."if the ignition is not open to the elements, you could well get a ticket". When I pressured him just bit as to what he personally would do, once again he was honest enough to say he didn't know, he would have to see one to fully understand.

I think it would all depend on the LEO.

Russ

I thought they made that law for the bolt action type inlines where you can get a weather shroud to close off the bolt and nipple area to make it water proof.

..."the ignition must be exposed to the elements"...

I think that's in the context of trying to describe and differentiate between inline and sidelock muzzleloader designs...not an add-on after-market device...Kap Kovers have been in use for 12+ years that I know of by myself...seems like something would have become known within our circles by now if they were a legal problem...dunno...if it was me and somebody did try to make a case like that, I'd go to court on the basis that "I installed it as an additional safety device to make my fellow hunters more safe from an accidental discharge"...can't imagine a Judge taking issue with extra safety measures
:m2c:

I guess I'll have to look into it before I do anything. Don't want to buy something I can't use in the field. If nothing else I'll just hold my breath till they say its ok. :redface:

I guess I'll have to look into it before I do anything. Don't want to buy something I can't use in the field. If nothing else I'll just hold my breath till they say its ok. :redface:

That's the ticket! It don't hurt to ask.

Roundball makes a great case for safety, I would certainly buy that if I were a Judge, or a LEO, no matter how the law actually read.

But, at the same time, I'm not one to get on the offensive when asked by an LEO, "what's that for a riflegun I'm shooting, or why am I dressed so funny"......... :no:

I go out of my way to please those boys, it's just my nature. And, I get along quite well with 'em.

When in doubt, I will always ask, if possible.

Russ

Hmm....I wonder then how using a piece of leather over the cap to protect it from water would be recieved? Since I was told on a previous post I made somewhere that carrying a cap lock at half cock was not totally safe..that makes me consider the leather thing as a viable option.

Incidentally...I just performed a test...placing the hammer on half cock and pulling the back trigger...I get a "click" and am then able to pull the set trigger..get a click..but the hammer does not move..no matter what I do with the rifle. Maybe the Renegade has this safety feature already built in?

Additional info:

John & Linda are the owner's/operators of October Country muzzleloader supplies in Idaho...they are also active ML hunters...they've sold the full line of Kap Kovers for years now and it seems like they'd know if there was a legal issue with the use of them...Kap Kovers are also endorsed by and written about in the ML books of Sam Fadala and Toby Bridges.

http://www.octobercountry.com/products2.php?categoryid=392

Latest posts

Back