• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

K L Moors Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It might even be about a decade ago (whew! time flies) but i bought a .50 cal flintlock from this gentleman. It was either his first or second build, very simple carving, no patchbox, rice barrel tastefully greyed. I had an absolutely terrific telephone conversation with him about the rifle and all sorts of other things - an extremely affable fellow. Well, it didn't take long before I discovered that that simple flinter was one heck of a shooter, and it wasn't too much longer after that when I discovered that I had taken such a liking to it I preferred it to all my other "fancy"/expensive flintlock rifles. It just balances beautifully and, like I said, it SHOOTS, and after all, isn't that what it's all about anyway? So the purpose of this post is to find out if anybody else out there has a rifle built by this man? Looking him up on the internet seems like he's dropped out of the picture a few years ago, which would be a shame if that were true. He does show some beautifully crafted rifles on his site, so it does look like he continued to chase after his dream and learn to make some outstanding looking pieces. Still, I'll bet they shoot just like my simple, bare essential one - EXCELLENT! So how about it? Anybody have a K L Moors Flintlock rifle out there? I'd love to hear about it.

I met Ken when he was just starting out at a show in Williamsburg. I believe he is a teacher in NC. He had such a low price on the gun he brought to sell and I remember talking with him about that fact. I immediately saw his potential and he was very humble concerning his talent. Last I heard, Clay Smith from Williamsburg also saw this in him ans he began to sell Ken's guns on consignment. I think Clay will be able to give you the scoop on Ken more than anyone I can come up with at this time.

It might even be about a decade ago (whew! time flies) but i bought a .50 cal flintlock from this gentleman. It was either his first or second build, very simple carving, no patchbox, rice barrel tastefully greyed. I had an absolutely terrific telephone conversation with him about the rifle and all sorts of other things - an extremely affable fellow. Well, it didn't take long before I discovered that that simple flinter was one heck of a shooter, and it wasn't too much longer after that when I discovered that I had taken such a liking to it I preferred it to all my other "fancy"/expensive flintlock rifles. It just balances beautifully and, like I said, it SHOOTS, and after all, isn't that what it's all about anyway? So the purpose of this post is to find out if anybody else out there has a rifle built by this man? Looking him up on the internet seems like he's dropped out of the picture a few years ago, which would be a shame if that were true. He does show some beautifully crafted rifles on his site, so it does look like he continued to chase after his dream and learn to make some outstanding looking pieces. Still, I'll bet they shoot just like my simple, bare essential one - EXCELLENT! So how about it? Anybody have a K L Moors Flintlock rifle out there? I'd love to hear about it.

Hi,
Yes, I have a 58 from him. He and Clay built it. It's a nice rifle that I got at a pretty good price. I've tried looking him up also and couldn't find much. Enjoy the smoke

A few years ago Mr. Moors told me that he was a third grade teacher, and he built rifles as a hobby. Maybe he found another hobby. He has a blog but hasn't posted a rifle on it since 2019.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the late reply! I am still building rifles and fowlers. About 50/50 now doing custom work and spec work. Clay Smith is kind enough to host
my guns on his website when I have one available for sale.

I'm still teaching 3rd grade too! That's been a ride the last couple of years, as you can imagine.

If it is OK to post it, here is the link to my pathetic blog. I really need to update it with some recent stuff.

http://klmoorsflintlocks.blogspot.com/

Here are some pics of a gun I built recently for a friend. It is a Jim Chambers Marshall.
DSCF0478.JPG
DSCF0534.JPG
DSCF0490.JPG
DSCF0539.JPG

Thanks again!

Thanks James. Back at ya!

I'm putting along, learning a little bit on every gun.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the kind words and sorry for the late reply! I am still building rifles and fowlers. About 50/50 now doing custom work and spec work. Clay Smith is kind enough to host
my guns on his website when I have one available for sale.

I'm still teaching 3rd grade too! That's been a ride the last couple of years, as you can imagine.

If it is OK to post it, here is the link to my pathetic blog. I really need to update it with some recent stuff.

http://klmoorsflintlocks.blogspot.com/

Here are some pics of a gun I built recently for a friend. It is a Jim Chambers Marshall.
View attachment 112660View attachment 112661View attachment 112662View attachment 112663

Thanks again!
Absolutely exquisite rifle Mr. Moores. Thank you for sharing.

I'd quit your day job - seriously, very nice carvings and attention to detail
I understand 'quitting your day job' .... but I imagine your attention to your students is the same as your exquisite work on guns.. Please don't quit teaching; our kids need you even more than we need your guns. Polecat

Ken, that is a beautiful piece of art! You built me a .54 cal flintlock using a kit from Clay. It is a my favorite flintlock rifle, not carved up like the one shown but still a very very nice piece of work. Maybe you remember the arrow head engraving on the patch box. Like said above, keep teaching, the kids need all the help they can get today. Percy

Yup, Percy, I remember that. A week or two ago I was looking for a drawing and came across the sketch of that arrowhead!

Thanks for the comments on the gun, folks.

Teaching is a strange job. I am rather new to it, as I worked in residential construction for almost 30 years prior to teaching. Building houses and dealing with rich folks was waaaaay easier.

Some days I feel like it goes well in the classroom and other days it feels like nothing worked and I need to try another approach the next day. Most of the kids are good though, so that makes it worth it in the end. Every year, there are one or two kids that I feel I might have actually changed their trajectory a little bit.

Thanks again!

A Virginia rifle Ken built 5 or 6 years ago. It has aged a bit since these photos, the brass has mellowed and the wood toned down a bit, a more recent photo at bottom (the top rifle in that photo is an Ian Pratt copy of a John or Elisha Bull East Tennessee rifle). It gets dirty a few times a year and is an excellent shooter.
74329122-3864-4F23-96D7-999E4D2B7D61.jpeg
85AAEDF1-9376-4707-9872-27F09BC279F9.jpeg
FDE161B1-B90A-45FD-964E-E106ADD6B182.jpeg
CBAE57CB-93F3-46FF-8765-0C8DF795C1F3.jpeg
54FAA7D8-8936-41F3-B452-42E020B163FB.jpeg
18B4D3B6-04D2-4E48-8616-A2159865437C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back