• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just got , Amish Walnut planks ....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing. I want to always be learning, and this is interesting. I've heard more than a couple times that gun stocks should be made from quarter sawn lumber, for dimensional stability, strength through the wrist and generally better appearance of the grain. While a NW trade gun is more utilitarian, just curious how a blank through the heartwood compares to quarter sawn?
Check this original Ketland trade gun 1790-1814 era. . European walnut . What a crappy plank of wood this gun was made from ! LOL.. Marker pointing at heart wood ! Wow !

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_124321.jpg
    IMG_20230827_124321.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Always sawed any green gunstock wood plank 2 1/2 " to 3 " thick , to aid in warp prevention during drying. Was glad I did. Between 1970 and 1974 , I gathered about 600 bd. feet of cheap black walnut from logs cleared along power line right of ways , and abandoned log yards , which were free. Back then , walnut was free for the taking if green. Custom sawmill operators worked cheap , like sawing 6 logs , cut while you wait for $50. Hard to believe , but over time , I've used most of those stocks , especially the burl , and curly ones. I still love to make Appalachian rifles from some of the precarved stocks from the wood I had gathered early on in my amature gunbuilding experience. What was learned from this experience......... I personally favor slab sawed blanks over quarter sawed ones. The slightly thicker sawed planks rendered very little warped planks from air drying in the rafters of a friend's barn.

Thanks for sharing. I want to always be learning, and this is interesting. I've heard more than a couple times that gun stocks should be made from quarter sawn lumber, for dimensional stability, strength through the wrist and generally better appearance of the grain. While a NW trade gun is more utilitarian, just curious how a blank through the heartwood compares to quarter sawn?
Here is a plank I cut out yesterday ... Its a good example of good grain running through the wrist for optimum strength ....the grain runs through forestock area through wrist into the buttstock region ...very strong ....
Always sawed any green gunstock wood plank 2 1/2 " to 3 " thick , to aid in warp prevention during drying. Was glad I did. Between 1970 and 1974 , I gathered about 600 bd. feet of cheap black walnut from logs cleared along power line right of ways , and abandoned log yards , which were free. Back then , walnut was free for the taking if green. Custom sawmill operators worked cheap , like sawing 6 logs , cut while you wait for $50. Hard to believe , but over time , I've used most of those stocks , especially the burl , and curly ones. I still love to make Appalachian rifles from some of the precarved stocks from the wood I had gathered early on in my amature gunbuilding experience. What was learned from this experience......... I personally favor slab sawed blanks over quarter sawed ones. The slightly thicker sawed planks rendered very little warped planks from air drying in the rafters of a friend's barn.
Very cool . Yep , thicker the better on planks just to be sure , any problems later and they can usually be planed out .

Attachments

• IMG_20230827_125145.jpg
    IMG_20230827_125145.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Darn Amish !! Charged me $100 for these two 2" thick planks ! I can only get 6 full sized trade guns and one or two blanket guns out of these planks ! How's a guy supposed to make any money when I have almost $16 in each gun stock ?! GEESH !!! :D ... LOL !! Just love these planks more when I know they've been drug out the woods by horses , go figure ....
In uk it’s about £50.00 for 2” thick piece of walnut and only enough to get one pistol out of it

Soon I hope!!!!! I've turned down a nice one holding out for one of yours. I'll be getting a hold of you.
I wish soon bud ,lordy ....I gotta build list thats probably 2 years long and I'm feeling bad for the folks on the list as they have waited so long already .....we'll see

I wish soon bud ,lordy ....I gotta build list thats probably 2 years long and I'm feeling bad for the folks on the list as they have waited so long already .....we'll see

That speaks pretty loudly to the quality of your work. Every time I see a trade gun for sale at a shoot now I get visions of your Facebook page and say to myself this isn't even close to what it is supposed to be and keep on walking.

That speaks pretty loudly to the quality of your work. Every time I see a trade gun for sale at a shoot now I get visions of your Facebook page and say to myself this isn't even close to what it is supposed to be and keep on walking.
Very kind of ya bud ....also speaks loudly about how slow I am at building !! LOL ! :D I'll never be fast like Ken Netting ! He's fast AND the best quality !

Darn Amish !! Charged me $100 for these two 2" thick planks ! I can only get 6 full sized trade guns and one or two blanket guns out of these planks ! How's a guy supposed to make any money when I have almost $16 in each gun stock ?! GEESH !!! :D ... LOL !! Just love these planks more when I know they've been drug out the woods by horses , go figure ....
I love walnut and can’t wait to see you building my Type G with (maybe) one of these!

Yeah , I do too bud . Most folks couldnt care less but to me it really makes a difference. Tree cut down by hand , drug out by horses ,sawn on an old style saw mill , cut out as plank , gun build by hand as old timey as possible . To me thats really cool . Whole lot better than commercial logging and stock made 85% in a CNC machine but thats just me . Nothing against kits and such , they have their place but I like the nostalgic ,old timey way .
As it should be.

The patterns were too close for chain saw and my saw is on the fritz . I cut twice with the radial saw and connected them with the hand saw . Then I remembered the big reciprocating saw ...got some weight off the plank so I could handle it better . Then band saw the ones that where real close or touching . Kicked my arse ! LOL
Sounds like a great weight loss program. 😘

Here are some of my wood plank supply that I have left. Maple in the back row and walnut in the front. I purchased a section of a maple tree in 1974 and had the sawmill cut it up into 3” thick and 5 foot lengths. The walnut came from a friend's property in Easton PA in 1995 and was cut into 2-3/4” thickness and 5” lengths. The walnut was kiln dried and the maple was aired dried. The maple lost about 1/8” or so in thickness over 3 years (it was kept indoors – house) The walnut stayed about the same as when it was kiln dried. The picture was taken in 2018.
My Wood 2.JPG

Back