• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just got , Amish Walnut planks ....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up in Greene Co. , Pa. , coal mining country. !950's , everyone heated w/ coal , and had a coal bin in the celler near the furnace. Our coal bin had somthing else in it up in the overhead floor joists. There was an old antique long band sawed walnut gunstock blank , hanging up there. Dad was an amature modern gunstock maker, and he would order preshaped double barrel shotgun stocks from Dixie , Bishop , Rhinhart Fagen , and Edwin Flaig's shop in Pgh. , to fix busted shotgun stocks. As a kid will , I badgered him about why he didn't use the old long stock hanging in the coal bin. He would always say , someone gave him the old long walnut m/l stock. Sadly , I finally talked him into using the stock , to make a forearm , or another part of it , for a shotgun stock. Dang , what I would give for that old walnut coal bin stock today. Guaranteed , it would be on a fine Appalachian long rifle . All was not lost , as I scavanged some fine Greene Co. black walnut logs from a log loading site along the Monongehela River where I grew up , dried the resulting planks , and all the wood went into m/l precarved long rifle stocks. .........oldwood

Back