• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just got a brand new lemon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an 1873 black powder revolver on order for 14 months before they finally called me that one had come in. I bought an Uberti from Midway 4 months earlier.
If still interested I just purchased the 1851 conversion cylinder from midway the Howell version does not matter they are all quality cylinders Howell and Taylor. No issues mine has the scene engraved
I got an email from Taylors today (04.17.2022) that the conversion cylinders are on sale. Really good price compared to Kirst.

Yep, shoulda - I trust the members here selling whatever, because whatever they're selling is exactly what you've seen & gotten. (and usually well worth the asking)
I got an 1858 fro a member here and the second time out it misfired every other shot. Turns out the hammer was binding on the way to the cap. Just needed a more detailed cleaning. I guess that is on me and the seller. Shoots great after that.

I got an 1858 fro a member here and the second time out it misfired every other shot. Turns out the hammer was binding on the way to the cap. Just needed a more detailed cleaning. I guess that is on me and the seller. Shoots great after that.
As long as it is not a brand new member I would never hesitate to buy from a member.

Ok, after freaking out and checking all my Uberti's. The "arbor test" shows they all fit correctly. Picked up an 1851 & 1861 from Midway last year. Only issue is CCI #10's are a little small for the nipples (can't find Rem. #10's). A small clip on the cap with some nippers fixes that for now. I was also lucky enough to find a Cimarron 1860 Richards conversion earlier this year. I think Cimarron and Taylors add their own quality control, which is why they are a little more$$. It looks like this stuff is popular, as soon as a distributor gets some in stock, they go right back out. I've been eyeing the 1849 too. Maybe yours was just a lemon and I got lucky. I hope Midway steps up & takes care of you.

Ok, after freaking out and checking all my Uberti's. The "arbor test" shows they all fit correctly. Picked up an 1851 & 1861 from Midway last year. Only issue is CCI #10's are a little small for the nipples (can't find Rem. #10's). A small clip on the cap with some nippers fixes that for now. I was also lucky enough to find a Cimarron 1860 Richards conversion earlier this year. I think Cimarron and Taylors add their own quality control, which is why they are a little more$$. It looks like this stuff is popular, as soon as a distributor gets some in stock, they go right back out. I've been eyeing the 1849 too. Maybe yours was just a lemon and I got lucky. I hope Midway steps up & takes care of you.

Nope, they're short unless you bought them from someone that corrected um. You don't even need a "test" ( which the test from Pettifogger's writings won't work). If the arbor is meeting the bottom of the hole, there'll be a "witness mark ".
20220220_111733.jpg

as well as one on the arbor
20220220_111835.jpg

like these pics show.

Mike

Last edited:
Yep, not a mark. (You don't see the shiny circular "ring" on the spacer on the bottom of the arbor hole and the matching one on the end of the arbor in my pics? You don't "have to . . . ), if you "need" a test. Just drop a small washer of any kind down the arbor hole and assemble the revolver. The fact that you can means there's room for the washer.
If the arbor was contacting the bottom of the arbor hole, there would be evidence of the contact.
What test did you do to convince you they were fine?

Mike

Yep that test has been done no telling how many times but it doesn't work. First of all, you can't get the arbor in far enough for the frame and barrel lug to meet unless the two assemblies are oriented correctly. In other words, any attempt with them "out of line" is futile without some "dressing" of the arbor . . . which I think is definitely going in the wrong direction. The most important contact is the end of the arbor with the bottom of the arbor hole . . . but why wouldn't you keep as much "overall" fit or linear contact as possible?
Anyway, I'm not trying to prove a point (or be a Smarty), just trying to help you

Mike

Maybe a picture of the Pettifogger test being done would be best?

Mike

I wouldn't buy anything from Midway, they are a horrible company to deal with, and practice out-right thievery. A while back, I purchased a Uberti 1862 police with a 5.5" barrel from them. The gun arrived all covered in rust, a locked in place cylinder, and a corroded barrel. Obviously had been fired and never cleaned, then shipped to me. Really torqued off, but I just sent it back for a refund. Initially that was then end of it, my money was returned to my debit card and I was done dealing with Midway. Three weeks later, as I'm checking my bank app, I discover Midway has recharged my debit card, without any authorization or approval from me, and given me "Midway Bucks" in the amount of the purchase price of the revolver. I didn't want their stinking "Midway Bucks", I wanted those thieving B@$+@rds to give me my money back and keep their money grubbing paws out of my bank account. It took me months of hassling, getting hung up on by "customer service" who I never treated abusively, talking to several managers, after enduring incredibly long hold periods on the phone, and an e-mail straight to "Good Ole Larry" (which he never responded to) to finally get those thiefs to return my money. I see on their website now they do not accept returns on black powder guns, so if they send you a used, rusty piece of garbage, good luck getting your money back.

I wouldn't buy anything from Midway, they are a horrible company to deal with, and practice out-right thievery. A while back, I purchased a Uberti 1862 police with a 5.5" barrel from them. The gun arrived all covered in rust, a locked in place cylinder, and a corroded barrel. Obviously had been fired and never cleaned, then shipped to me. Really torqued off, but I just sent it back for a refund. Initially that was then end of it, my money was returned to my debit card and I was done dealing with Midway. Three weeks later, as I'm checking my bank app, I discover Midway has recharged my debit card, without any authorization or approval from me, and given me "Midway Bucks" in the amount of the purchase price of the revolver. I didn't want their stinking "Midway Bucks", I wanted those thieving B@$+@rds to give me my money back and keep their money grubbing paws out of my bank account. It took me months of hassling, getting hung up on by "customer service" who I never treated abusively, talking to several managers, after enduring incredibly long hold periods on the phone, and an e-mail straight to "Good Ole Larry" (which he never responded to) to finally get those thiefs to return my money. I see on their website now they do not accept returns on black powder guns, so if they send you a used, rusty piece of garbage, good luck getting your money back.
They didn't want to take the return from me, but the straw that broke the camels back for them was me threatening a lawsuit over selling me an unsafe firearm. Less than 15 minutes they called me. Complete with instructions on how to return. :)

They didn't want to take the return from me, but the straw that broke the camels back for them was me threatening a lawsuit over selling me an unsafe firearm. Less than 15 minutes they called me. Complete with instructions on how to return. :)
i guess there is a use for attorney's after all! and not to just populate hell!

A good lesson here. Always use a credit card for online purchases! No access to your money.

I hope you left them a review about your issues.

I had a similar fubar with eBay . . .. .

In the end, they embezzled $12 from me.

Never again, will they see me!

Latest posts

Back